Monday
Dull morning spent dealing with e-mails. As soon as I respond to someone, thinking "that's done", they reply with yet more work to do. Alec Nussbaum is a master of this.
Dull afternoon writing brochure copy.
There is an infection going through the offices and I am concerned I do not get this (a persistent cough).
Tuesday
So cold in the office I asked for the heating to be turned back on.
I finished the brochure copy and spent the rest of the morning choosing illustrations.
In the afternoon the Institute's Director, Vijay Singh, called a management meeting to discuss finances. We are dependent for our funding on our "sister organisation" and this funding is controlled by Alec Nussbaum (a senior Director at "head office"). Vijay Singh wants us to have other sponsors so we can develop a more independent line. We talked about various options. Accounts Manager (and Acting Deputy Director) Marcia Walsh was tasked with approaching a professional fund-raiser who is to be offered a percentage of all money raised. This intitative is to be kept secret from Alec Nussbaum.
Wednesday
Finance and Admin clashed this morning, with heated words shouted across the general office. I stayed out of it and just got on with my work. Vijay Singh was out when it happened, otherwise he would have intervened.
E-mails to deal with, including one from Membership at head office, attacking me ("what have I ever done to them?" I thought).
I planned a new publication and researched a suitable database.
My lunchbreak curtailed because of a meeting that started at 1.30. Attendees were myself, Vijay Singh, Peter Whitgift from the tiny Birmingham office, Campaign Manager Callum Smith, and Carol Reynolds from head office representing Alec Nussbaum. It was a good meeting from my point of view, mainly because I was so well prepared and my ideas were positively received.
Thursday
It was extremely quiet in the offices, and I was inclined to be idle.
A long telephone call from Carol Reynolds about yesterday's meeting and some literature she wants written and produced.
Friday
Another visit to Head Office in London.
The meeting only lasted an hour and did not really require my presence. I had taken the afternoon as holiday, so emerging from the building I had the rest of the day to myself. The weather still very bad for June.
No comments:
Post a Comment