Monday
The weather warmer, so that I am able to sleep more soundly.
The Today programme (which I listen to on the longish drive to work) increasingly punctuated by non-stories, as is Newsnight in the evening.
In a car belonging to the Institute (Keith Chandler's old car) I drove to a small town to visit a graphic design agency which is doing some work for the Institute. Although I knew the town fairly well it took me a little time to find the street the agency was located in. Typical graphic design agency in a picturesque old building.
I met Lisa the graphic designer, and as a visiting client I was treated with all the usual corporate deference (which I did not take seriously, having worked in an agency myself and knowing how clients are usually thought of). We spent the rest of the day making corrections and amendments. The process was very slow, but at least I felt I could be sure that everything will be done as I want it to be.
Lunchtime and in the company of agency partner Tim G a walk across the road from the agency to a cafe-bar where I had several whisky sodas on an empty stomach and then a ciabatta sandwich. Tim G talked a great deal, although I thought he was a little phony ("We all like extreme sports" he told me solemnly, although he did not look very sporting). I felt light-headed when I walked back across the road and into the agency.
I was most unwilling to carry on working, but there was no alternative. And so we continued with the corrections and amendments. At 7.30 pm we were finished and I drove back to the Institute, got into my own car and drove home.
Tuesday
Almost the whole day spent proofing.
Wednesday
And another day spent proofing - or more accurately, co-ordinating the proofing of others.
Thursday
The proofing seems to be an endless process. It's all I'm doing at the moment. I try to focus on the rest I will have when it is all done.
In the morning I transferred everything onto the master proof and e-mailed it off to Tim G.
A consequence of some of the amendments is that spaces have appeared in the publication which I am having to fill with copy I have written myself.
In the afternoon Kathy W and Mary McF from Head Office PR department came to the Institute and gave a presentation on the latest PR plan. It was a ponderous session that went on for an hour and a half. Vijay Singh sat in on the meeting although there was no need for his presence as he will be leaving soon.
Friday
As soon as I arrived at the Institute this morning I was into rounds of proofing, reproofing, copywriting and negotiating for more time.
There seems to be no end to it all.
I went out at lunchtime despite all the pressure, and just sat quietly in a cafe with a cup of coffee and a Danish pastry.
The afternoon more proofing and little last-minute rushes. In the middle of all the stress Surveys Manager Abi Reed (not a particular confidante of mine) wanted my opinion on a hostile e-mail she had received from Vijay Singh. It was not very nice, and could be interpreted as bullying, but I advised her to ignore it as Vijay Singh would soon be gone and no-one was taking him seriously anymore.
Latest (and I hope final) proofs arrived just before 5pm. I took them home and later in the evening I laid the proofs out on the dining room table and checked that everything had been done. I then rang Tim G and told him to go to print.
The weather warmer, so that I am able to sleep more soundly.
The Today programme (which I listen to on the longish drive to work) increasingly punctuated by non-stories, as is Newsnight in the evening.
In a car belonging to the Institute (Keith Chandler's old car) I drove to a small town to visit a graphic design agency which is doing some work for the Institute. Although I knew the town fairly well it took me a little time to find the street the agency was located in. Typical graphic design agency in a picturesque old building.
I met Lisa the graphic designer, and as a visiting client I was treated with all the usual corporate deference (which I did not take seriously, having worked in an agency myself and knowing how clients are usually thought of). We spent the rest of the day making corrections and amendments. The process was very slow, but at least I felt I could be sure that everything will be done as I want it to be.
Lunchtime and in the company of agency partner Tim G a walk across the road from the agency to a cafe-bar where I had several whisky sodas on an empty stomach and then a ciabatta sandwich. Tim G talked a great deal, although I thought he was a little phony ("We all like extreme sports" he told me solemnly, although he did not look very sporting). I felt light-headed when I walked back across the road and into the agency.
I was most unwilling to carry on working, but there was no alternative. And so we continued with the corrections and amendments. At 7.30 pm we were finished and I drove back to the Institute, got into my own car and drove home.
Tuesday
Almost the whole day spent proofing.
Wednesday
And another day spent proofing - or more accurately, co-ordinating the proofing of others.
Thursday
The proofing seems to be an endless process. It's all I'm doing at the moment. I try to focus on the rest I will have when it is all done.
In the morning I transferred everything onto the master proof and e-mailed it off to Tim G.
A consequence of some of the amendments is that spaces have appeared in the publication which I am having to fill with copy I have written myself.
In the afternoon Kathy W and Mary McF from Head Office PR department came to the Institute and gave a presentation on the latest PR plan. It was a ponderous session that went on for an hour and a half. Vijay Singh sat in on the meeting although there was no need for his presence as he will be leaving soon.
Friday
As soon as I arrived at the Institute this morning I was into rounds of proofing, reproofing, copywriting and negotiating for more time.
There seems to be no end to it all.
I went out at lunchtime despite all the pressure, and just sat quietly in a cafe with a cup of coffee and a Danish pastry.
The afternoon more proofing and little last-minute rushes. In the middle of all the stress Surveys Manager Abi Reed (not a particular confidante of mine) wanted my opinion on a hostile e-mail she had received from Vijay Singh. It was not very nice, and could be interpreted as bullying, but I advised her to ignore it as Vijay Singh would soon be gone and no-one was taking him seriously anymore.
Latest (and I hope final) proofs arrived just before 5pm. I took them home and later in the evening I laid the proofs out on the dining room table and checked that everything had been done. I then rang Tim G and told him to go to print.
No comments:
Post a Comment