I watched a little of the "youth" edition of Question Time last night.
The youthful Edinburgh audience was almost totally white - I saw one person who looked mixed-race but otherwise it was monocultural.
And yet the lefty commentary on Twitter was strangely silent on this fact.
When Question Time was broadcast from Lincoln recently the audience was also completely white, and there was no end to sneering and jeering among the right-on Twitter commentariat. It was as if everything anybody said was invalidated because the audience was not "vibrant" or "diverse". Why the double standards I wonder?
Is it because the left is over-reliant on Scottish constituencies to ensure a Labour government, and so cannot risk offending the Scottish white working class?
Is it because the left has declared war on the English rural shires, and vibrant diversity is one of the weapons they are using to destroy community cohesiveness and shut down any debate on social change (because anyone who questions vibrant diversity must be a racist)?
Is it because the SNP's often-asserted claims that Scotland is a vibrantly diverse community is in fact a sham, and that covert silencing of non-"Scottish" voices has been under way for some time (as claimed by Nigel Farage on his recent fact-finding mission to an Edinburgh pub)?
And why, I wonder, was there no attempt by Jonathan Portes and his former civil servant colleagues to rub the face of Alex Salmond in a specially-prepared Caledonian version of vibrant diversity?
Friday, June 14, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment