Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Perhaps they are genuinely happy with a dictatorial big state

Referring to a ComRes survey John Rentoul (Independent) tells us "Germans: just not that bothered about online privacy (42% "concerned" vs 68% UK and EU average)" http://ht.ly/mmsYf

Are these the same Germans we are supposed to be "pooling" our sovereignty with in an ever-closer European Union?

Perhaps they are genuinely happy with a dictatorial big state that watches its citizens.  They only really adopted democracy in 1945.  And then not through choice - it was imposed on them.

How they live their lives is up to them I suppose.

But forgive me if I say that I don't want an ever-closer union with the Germans.

Update:  Andrew Hawkins from ComRes says "global survey... finds S Koreans most concerned, Japanese least so re online privacy".

Is there possibly something in the history of these two closely connected countries that might explain this divergence in opinion?  Japan in the early part of the twentieth-century created a formidable surveillance state that propelled their nation into a world power.  South Korea was on the receiving end of that power and presumably is not keen on repeating the experience.

No comments: