Thursday, June 13, 2013

Not me guv

Suzanne Moore (and many many other writers) protests about her articles "I don't write the headlines. I don't choose the pics."

But every writer has the opportunity of saying to the publication:  don't use my work unless you allow me editorial control over the headline and pictures.  I do not want you compromising my work by placing it in a false context just because you think you can sell more if you present things in a lurid way.  If you don't agree to this give me my work back, I will return any money I owe you, and I will go elsewhere.

If this is not the course they take then they have absolutely no right to say to readers "not me guv, I didn't choose the headline".

You accepted the money that was raised by attaching a "sexy" headline (using the word "sexy" in its Alastair Campbell sense).

Therefore you must accept at least partial responsibility for what that headline says.

https://twitter.com/suzanne_moore/status/345097185538494464

No comments: