Saturday, June 22, 2013

I am sensitive about any criticisms - the past week at work

Monday

When I got to my desk this morning I intended to be focused on the deadlines I have to meet this week.

Some very rude e-mails from Head Office which I just passed on to Alec Nussbaum, not wanting to get involved in any feuds.

The heat and humidity today (and all this week) almost unbearable even with the fan full on.  I finished an article for a magazine.  Then I calculated how much time off in lieu I was due from working late on the publication - it came to thirty-four hours.

Tuesday

More writing this morning.  And I reduced down to about ten the e-mails I need to answer (seriously answer).  Also I began to think about technology and modern life.

In the afternoon a new problem developed over the publication.  The agency is reneging on its agreement to store them until required, which places us in a difficult position (they will have to go in the reading room, which is already full to bursting).  Frantic hunt for confirmation that the agency had agreed to store them - which thankfully I found, and so no-one can blame me for this.

Lots of catching up to do with the exhibitions programme, which I have neglected recently.

Wednesday

Such a drama has developed at Head Office, and quite interesting from a political point of view.  The prevailing atmosphere is one of apprehension apparently.  As if change is about to occur.

Tim G from the agency called in to explain why he cannot store the publications as arranged.  I kept out of the meeting, suspecting it would be tedious.  Later I learned that Alec Nussbaum had negotiated a reduction in our bill for the job.

Thursday

A day off work as part of the compensation for all the extra hours I have worked recently.

Friday

All of the day I felt a little on-edge about the imminent arrival of the publication.  It is such a high-profile project that I am sensitive about any criticisms.  All around me the Admin section were making preparations for the mailshot (we do these in house because of confidentiality).

Late afternoon I got the news that delivery of the publication had been delayed until Monday.

Billy from the telephone surveys section left today.  I went downstairs to see her presented with a card and small gift.  Temp Emma also left.

I stayed slightly late to reply to the e-mail from Mary McF at Head Office's Media department.  My reply was long and widely copied.  I hope I have turned the tables on her.

When I arrived home the church bells were ringing (they have a practice on Friday evenings).

No comments: