Monday
Most of today I spent working on the planned relaunch of the Institute's website. It was last renewed in 2008, so is due an update. Vijay Singh (the Institute's director) wants it to have more "interactivity" without saying what exactly he is thinking of - I'm not a mind-reader.
Also a meeting with Peter Whitgift from the Institute's small Birmingham office.
Tuesday
To London for Alec Nussbaum's Mid-point Assessment meeting. All the departments were represented, held at a hotel, not Head Office. As we went into the darkened seminar room deafening music was playing - Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer (part of the Nussbaum attempt to be "modern" despite the disapproving grimaces of the attendees, or perhaps he was relishing the disapproving grimaces).
On the train up to London Vijay Singh gave me a lecture on social media security - I am confident there can be no lapse, even this blog is published through a third party and has been from the start (the other Andrew).
Wednesday
Bitterly cold day, and because of the stone floors the downstairs rooms of the house did not become warm, no matter how much heating was put on.
Even driving to work I was assailed by urgent terse e-mails from Head Office about how to handle any media enquiries. Events today are making everyone feel tense. I went out at midday to get away from it all.
My appraisal is next week - I hope it goes well.
Thursday
I coped with various supposedly urgent tasks.
Most of the day I spent arranging for the Institute's back catalogue of publications to be accessed via the new website. Long debate on whether we will charge for these - we need the money, but also the whole point of the reports is to disseminate ideas as widely as possible. Katie from accounts helped me with this, which was unusual as she is usually the least helpful person in the building.
In the afternoon I began drafting another report - this is the sort of work I do best.
Friday
Morning off work to attend a doctor's appointment (actually I just saw the nurse). Everything seems to be alright - the aftermath of the pneumonia. I still feel unsteady at times, and I seem to be able to induce this giddiness just by thinking I am about to fall (I have tried this).
I am so weary of being ill.
I was out of the surgery by 10, and thought I would go home and have an early lunch and then go on to work. But once I was back in the house I became distracted and it was 1pm when I set off. Arriving at the office no-one seemed to have noticed my absence this morning.
Most of today I spent working on the planned relaunch of the Institute's website. It was last renewed in 2008, so is due an update. Vijay Singh (the Institute's director) wants it to have more "interactivity" without saying what exactly he is thinking of - I'm not a mind-reader.
Also a meeting with Peter Whitgift from the Institute's small Birmingham office.
Tuesday
To London for Alec Nussbaum's Mid-point Assessment meeting. All the departments were represented, held at a hotel, not Head Office. As we went into the darkened seminar room deafening music was playing - Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer (part of the Nussbaum attempt to be "modern" despite the disapproving grimaces of the attendees, or perhaps he was relishing the disapproving grimaces).
On the train up to London Vijay Singh gave me a lecture on social media security - I am confident there can be no lapse, even this blog is published through a third party and has been from the start (the other Andrew).
Wednesday
Bitterly cold day, and because of the stone floors the downstairs rooms of the house did not become warm, no matter how much heating was put on.
Even driving to work I was assailed by urgent terse e-mails from Head Office about how to handle any media enquiries. Events today are making everyone feel tense. I went out at midday to get away from it all.
My appraisal is next week - I hope it goes well.
Thursday
I coped with various supposedly urgent tasks.
Most of the day I spent arranging for the Institute's back catalogue of publications to be accessed via the new website. Long debate on whether we will charge for these - we need the money, but also the whole point of the reports is to disseminate ideas as widely as possible. Katie from accounts helped me with this, which was unusual as she is usually the least helpful person in the building.
In the afternoon I began drafting another report - this is the sort of work I do best.
Friday
Morning off work to attend a doctor's appointment (actually I just saw the nurse). Everything seems to be alright - the aftermath of the pneumonia. I still feel unsteady at times, and I seem to be able to induce this giddiness just by thinking I am about to fall (I have tried this).
I am so weary of being ill.
I was out of the surgery by 10, and thought I would go home and have an early lunch and then go on to work. But once I was back in the house I became distracted and it was 1pm when I set off. Arriving at the office no-one seemed to have noticed my absence this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment