Bitterly cold night. On the drive home from work I go through a built up village - it's more a commuter settlement than a real village, and has very heavy traffic through it. As I drove along a busy section of the little high street I saw a small animal in the road obviously hit by a car and struggling to get up.
A little further on I managed to turn into the forecourt of a hairdresser and then drive back to where the animal was. Lots of traffic in both directions. I stopped my car at the side of the road and walked over to take a closer look, the traffic going past me slowly on either side.
The animal was a tabby cat with a white stomach and paws, now lying still on the road with blood pouring from its half-open mouth. Someone joined me - he was wearing a yellow fluorescent jacket, which had the effect of stopping all the traffic in both directions. I picked the cat up and took it over to the pavement and laid it down. It was clearly dead, but at least the owner will be able to recognise it and know what had happened (if it had been left in the road it would have been completely destroyed within half an hour). The traffic began moving again, and as I waited to recross the road a car stopped (again stopping all the traffic on both directions) and a young woman with long blonde hair called "Thank you for doing that" several times, as if she couldn't think of anything else to say. Very sad incident.
A little further on I managed to turn into the forecourt of a hairdresser and then drive back to where the animal was. Lots of traffic in both directions. I stopped my car at the side of the road and walked over to take a closer look, the traffic going past me slowly on either side.
The animal was a tabby cat with a white stomach and paws, now lying still on the road with blood pouring from its half-open mouth. Someone joined me - he was wearing a yellow fluorescent jacket, which had the effect of stopping all the traffic in both directions. I picked the cat up and took it over to the pavement and laid it down. It was clearly dead, but at least the owner will be able to recognise it and know what had happened (if it had been left in the road it would have been completely destroyed within half an hour). The traffic began moving again, and as I waited to recross the road a car stopped (again stopping all the traffic on both directions) and a young woman with long blonde hair called "Thank you for doing that" several times, as if she couldn't think of anything else to say. Very sad incident.
No comments:
Post a Comment