ASLEF were on strike yesterday, with more one-day strikes planned for 2013.
In case anyone on the left should be sympathetic to the ASLEF cause they should be aware that ASLEF is one of the most abusive of British trade unions - abusive to a succession of governments; abusive to passengers using transport systems; especially abusive to their so-called "brothers" in the National Union of Railwaymen.
The relationship of ASLEF towards to NUR can be compared to that of the Spartan Perioikoi to their Helot neighbours. Arrogant, bullying, selfish, exploitative, patronising, greedy. ASLEF is a dreadful trade union, and an example of how a small well-organised group can further the interests of their members at the expense of other industrial workers - the national strikes throughout the 1960s and 1970s were followed by measurable migration of business, especially freight, onto the roads.
In theory I would like to see more freight travel by rail. In theory I would like to see the railways renationalised. In practice I know that it would just result in endless blackmail from ASLEF.

No comments:
Post a Comment