Friday, September 26, 2014

UKIP Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall was stitched up

Having just watched Daily Politics I was left with the impression that UKIP Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall was stitched up by the programme.  He was interviewed by presenter Jo Coburn, and reasonable questions about taxation were asked.  But she then effectively threw him to the wolves (mangy and ineffective wolves, but wolves nonetheless) by turning to Zoe Williams (Guardian) and Hugo Williams (The Times) and allowing them free rein to say what they like without any right of reply or indeed any professional interlocution by herself.

Given the well-known extreme (indeed rabid) views of Zoe Williams and Hugo Rifkind on immigration (either of them could model for the New York statue of liberty, with a "bring me your huddled masses" speech bubble coming from their mouths) how can this be presented as a balanced discussion?

I am a Conservative, not a UKIP member, but I do not like to see unfairness and I do not like to see people being kicked.

There is also, of course, the thought that if Zoe Williams and Hugo Rifkind get away with kicking UKIP people, they will turn their bear-garden tactics on traditional Conservatives (please don't tell me Hugo Rifkind is a Conservative - he is no more a Conservative on immigration than Malcolm Rifkind, and we know what he is).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mjxb

No comments: