Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I do not think an independent Scotland can keep the monarchy

There was a discussion on Radio 4's PM programme yesterday about the implications for the monarchy if Scotland votes Yes to independence.

I do not think an independent Scotland can keep the monarchy.

Scotland is not achieving dominion status like Australia or Canada.

It is (if the Yes vote prevails) deliberately embarking upon a course that must bring it into conflict with England as the common resources are divided up and the Scottish element removed from government, the civil service and national institutions.  It is naïve to think that this is going to be done amicably and without considerable stress.  In addition, if the United Kingdom is broken up there is going to be a lot of anger from the population of England (who perhaps have not fully realised how their country is going to be fucked up and their lives disrupted).

The Crown cannot be impartial in any conflict between England and Scotland.

Much as I love and respect the monarchy they will have to go if they are not one hundred per cent on our side.

Nor do I want a head of state who lives for several months in a foreign country.

No comments: