Listening to the reports of the "bedroom tax" proposals on the Today programme this morning, I was surprised that no-one mentioned a fairly obvious (to me) solution: allow tenants of social housing to sub-let spare bedrooms.
This would give an additional source of income to households faced with the "bedroom tax" and also help solve the housing problem for homeless individuals.
I think the income from rented rooms is tax free (I'm not sure on this).
Of course, I know tenants are sometimes messy, noisy, demanding, take things that are not theirs, disappear leaving rent arrears, cause damage etc. But equally they can be friendly, helpful, resourceful. Sub-letting can be restricted to only those rooms specifically liable for the "bedroom tax".
It will also be interesting to see social housing tenants, long persuaded by the left that they are "victims" of society, become evil rentier landlords (to use the terminology of the left cf Owen Jones et al).
This would give an additional source of income to households faced with the "bedroom tax" and also help solve the housing problem for homeless individuals.
I think the income from rented rooms is tax free (I'm not sure on this).
Of course, I know tenants are sometimes messy, noisy, demanding, take things that are not theirs, disappear leaving rent arrears, cause damage etc. But equally they can be friendly, helpful, resourceful. Sub-letting can be restricted to only those rooms specifically liable for the "bedroom tax".
It will also be interesting to see social housing tenants, long persuaded by the left that they are "victims" of society, become evil rentier landlords (to use the terminology of the left cf Owen Jones et al).
No comments:
Post a Comment