Is Hannah Fearn justified in referring to abuse of women (associated with the groping liberals scandal currently in the media) and extrapolating from that the assertion that we "live in a patriarchy" citing as supporting evidence the comments on a website? (website comments are highly unreliable).
Hannah Fearn should be advised that men get groped too - by women and by other men.
Personally I have been groped in a crowded pub (women); in my early twenties I was repeatedly "leaned on" by a dirty old man when commuting to St Pancras (despite changing my usual seat frequently); in the past couple of years I have received unsolicited "office cuddles" from both men and women.
In a previous job when reporting to a woman of power I was asked to accompany her to a "ball" and had to feign illness to escape the assignment.
At no time have I encouraged any of this attention.
Presumably as women gain more prominence in the workplace (which is a good thing) the incidence of abuse by powerful confident women will increase.
Replacing an abusive patriarchy with an abusive matriarchy is not the solution, and therefore Hannah Fearn should not jump to instant analysis and solutions.
Freedom must not stink (as Gandhi once said).

No comments:
Post a Comment