Above is a modified tweet - I have removed some offensive iconography https://twitter.com/BolsoverBeast.
Here we can see the thoughts of atheist MP Denis Skinner "helpfully" giving some advice to the Church of England. He seems to think that Anglicanism is about "increasing congregations", as if numbers were associated with validity. He also seems oblivious to the fact that the Church of England has vastly more members than the Labour Party.
And is there not a contradiction in atheists who regard the Church as irrelevant wanting it to have "21st century values" - if it was truly irrelevant these atheists would not bother to get so worked up (no-one cares whether atheists have 21st century values).
I am not a theologian, and so cannot say who should or should not be an Anglican bishop.
But I do know that the Scriptures warn us there will come a time when The Beast will be set up in the temple.
This beast will not be a horned monster breathing fire and with a forked tail. Nor will it be in the shape of a self-important loud-mouth like "beast" Denis Skinner. It will be subtle and innocuous, as innocent-seeming as the clauses of employment legislation, but its impact will be devastating and irrevocable.
Which is why I am not happy with this endless tinkering with the Church.

No comments:
Post a Comment