Wednesday
First day back in the office after the long Christmas break. It was slightly depressing, but only slightly. Immediately I arrived Deputy Director Marcia Walsh (who normally ignores me) came over to ask to my desk to ask how I was, and later wanted to make me a cup of coffee.
The morning was just a matter of plodding through various tasks.
Lunchtime we started the Management Meeting, which I knew in advance was going to be difficult. I was called on to give a report about the joint marketing project, and I was able to do this very convincingly even though nothing has really been done. Then Martin B from Head Office was brought into the meeting and we all had a discussion on the relaunch of the Institute's website (this was entirely an exercise in dissembling, as Director Vijay Singh does not want Head Office to have anything to do with the relaunch).
After Martin B had gone back to London we had a break and then the meeting reconvened to discuss the Institute's AGM in April when we will make an attempt to break free from Head Office control. The planning for this event is currently a bit of a mess, but there is still time to retrieve the situation. Vijay Singh told us all firmly that we are certain to lose our jobs if the Institute moves back to London (an obvious statement as commuting is so difficult and I have no desire to work in London again).
Another break then we had a presentation from Liz M from Head Office who talked about fund-raising. She was very competent, but made sarcastic and cynical comments throughout. Not a pleasant person I suspect.
After the Management Meeting came to an end I had a discussion with Peter Whitgift from the Birmingham office to discuss his literature requirements for 2013.
And then it was 5pm and I could go home, feeling exhausted.
Thursday
The office very quiet today, with lots of people out. I had two things to attend to: a report for the real Management Meeting on Thursday (yesterday had just been a sham for the benefit of the visitors from Head Office); and a report on public attitude trends for a meeting next Monday. I managed to get most of the work done - enough to get me through the meetings.
An evaluation survey from the Finance Department pinged into my e-mail In Box - I marked them down quite severely.
We have two temps in Admin, and Gary from the Library downstairs seems to be finding many excuses to talk to them.
Friday
I had to get up early (5pm) as I needed to get into the centre of Cambridge by 9am - two hours to drive to the outskirts of the city and an hour to actually get into the centre and find somewhere to park. Shabby hotel, Victorian with 1950s extensions. A cup of coffee among the other attendees, none of whom I knew (it was a regional training course, mostly for voluntary workers).
During the lunchbreak I walked as far as the Fitzwilliam Museum, up the great flight of steps and under the Corinthian portico, and a quick look at the Hellenistic mummy cases.
The afternoon session was a bore and I slipped out soon after it started on the pretext I needed to reply to e-mails.
First day back in the office after the long Christmas break. It was slightly depressing, but only slightly. Immediately I arrived Deputy Director Marcia Walsh (who normally ignores me) came over to ask to my desk to ask how I was, and later wanted to make me a cup of coffee.
The morning was just a matter of plodding through various tasks.
Lunchtime we started the Management Meeting, which I knew in advance was going to be difficult. I was called on to give a report about the joint marketing project, and I was able to do this very convincingly even though nothing has really been done. Then Martin B from Head Office was brought into the meeting and we all had a discussion on the relaunch of the Institute's website (this was entirely an exercise in dissembling, as Director Vijay Singh does not want Head Office to have anything to do with the relaunch).
After Martin B had gone back to London we had a break and then the meeting reconvened to discuss the Institute's AGM in April when we will make an attempt to break free from Head Office control. The planning for this event is currently a bit of a mess, but there is still time to retrieve the situation. Vijay Singh told us all firmly that we are certain to lose our jobs if the Institute moves back to London (an obvious statement as commuting is so difficult and I have no desire to work in London again).
Another break then we had a presentation from Liz M from Head Office who talked about fund-raising. She was very competent, but made sarcastic and cynical comments throughout. Not a pleasant person I suspect.
After the Management Meeting came to an end I had a discussion with Peter Whitgift from the Birmingham office to discuss his literature requirements for 2013.
And then it was 5pm and I could go home, feeling exhausted.
Thursday
The office very quiet today, with lots of people out. I had two things to attend to: a report for the real Management Meeting on Thursday (yesterday had just been a sham for the benefit of the visitors from Head Office); and a report on public attitude trends for a meeting next Monday. I managed to get most of the work done - enough to get me through the meetings.
An evaluation survey from the Finance Department pinged into my e-mail In Box - I marked them down quite severely.
We have two temps in Admin, and Gary from the Library downstairs seems to be finding many excuses to talk to them.
Friday
I had to get up early (5pm) as I needed to get into the centre of Cambridge by 9am - two hours to drive to the outskirts of the city and an hour to actually get into the centre and find somewhere to park. Shabby hotel, Victorian with 1950s extensions. A cup of coffee among the other attendees, none of whom I knew (it was a regional training course, mostly for voluntary workers).
During the lunchbreak I walked as far as the Fitzwilliam Museum, up the great flight of steps and under the Corinthian portico, and a quick look at the Hellenistic mummy cases.
The afternoon session was a bore and I slipped out soon after it started on the pretext I needed to reply to e-mails.
No comments:
Post a Comment