Channel 4 News reported bitter infighting at the top of the Liberal Democrat party with Lord Oakeshott manoeuvring to topple Nick Clgg.
Vince Cable is supposedly not involved, but read his disclaimer carefully:
"Lord Oakeshott's actions are totally inexcusable and unacceptable. I have made it very clear repeatedly that he does not speak or act for me. Commissioning and publishing polls without the consent of the Member of Parliament, as in the case of Sheffield Hallam, is utterly reprehensible. There are undoubtedly raw feelings in the wake of poor local and European election results. We need to respond in a measured way. Public speculation about the leadership is an unwelcome distraction, and as I made absolutely clear yesterday there is no leadership issue as far as I'm concerned."
He says the Oakeshott poll was done without his approval.
Hmmm.
Weasel words perhaps?
He does not say it was done without his knowledge.
Indeed the whole of his statement might be paraphased as: it is regrettable that in politics hard decisions have to be made and although I will not personally strike at Nick, if others do so and create a vacancy I will of course in the greater interests of the party allow my name to go forward.
http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/
Vince Cable is supposedly not involved, but read his disclaimer carefully:
"Lord Oakeshott's actions are totally inexcusable and unacceptable. I have made it very clear repeatedly that he does not speak or act for me. Commissioning and publishing polls without the consent of the Member of Parliament, as in the case of Sheffield Hallam, is utterly reprehensible. There are undoubtedly raw feelings in the wake of poor local and European election results. We need to respond in a measured way. Public speculation about the leadership is an unwelcome distraction, and as I made absolutely clear yesterday there is no leadership issue as far as I'm concerned."
He says the Oakeshott poll was done without his approval.
Hmmm.
Weasel words perhaps?
He does not say it was done without his knowledge.
Indeed the whole of his statement might be paraphased as: it is regrettable that in politics hard decisions have to be made and although I will not personally strike at Nick, if others do so and create a vacancy I will of course in the greater interests of the party allow my name to go forward.
http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/
No comments:
Post a Comment