This article by Matthew Goodwin on the Progress website is a very astute analysis of UKIP's support: http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2014/05/15/left-right-behind/
However I think that I would disagree with him that the "working class" are now in the minority.
Working class is a broad term that covers a spectrum from those who have never worked (the so-called chav underclass) to those in la-di-da professional jobs who still self-identify themselves as working-class, and those who have retired (no longer working working-class).
"...‘say no’ to three things they are already instinctively hostile towards: no to Westminster elites; no to Eurocrats in Brussels; and no to immigrants."
Which means, in effect, wanting more democratic control over their society.
However I think that I would disagree with him that the "working class" are now in the minority.
Working class is a broad term that covers a spectrum from those who have never worked (the so-called chav underclass) to those in la-di-da professional jobs who still self-identify themselves as working-class, and those who have retired (no longer working working-class).
"...‘say no’ to three things they are already instinctively hostile towards: no to Westminster elites; no to Eurocrats in Brussels; and no to immigrants."
Which means, in effect, wanting more democratic control over their society.
No comments:
Post a Comment