Saturday, May 17, 2014

Evasive - the past week at work

Monday

An upgrade of the computer systems was taking place, which resulted in most of the morning being wasted, Marcia Walsh (Deputy Director) talking about "the cloud" as if she was an expert (which she is not).

Most of the day I spent working on a presentation.

I talked to Gary (Assistant in the Reading Room) about his house and garden - "I want to get it as low maintenance as possible" he said seriously.

Tuesday

Big all-day management meeting, with stand-in Director Peter M arriving from Head Office to chair it.  The minutes for the last meeting could not be found, which meant they could not be discussed, which in turn meant they could not be signed-off.  Peter M regarded this as a serious matter and was very sniffy with Marcia.

John L from Head Office was also at the meeting, and Peter M announced that he was the new Director and would run the Institute from London.  When asked by Abi Reed whether the Institute would physically move to London he was very evasive.

The rest of the day consisted of John L holding one-to-one meetings with all the staff, while outside the room huddles formed and reformed and whispered conversations were held.

The general view was that the Institute was safe for at least a year (which is obvious really, given the timing of various events).

Wednesday

Jutta, our German receptionist, is counting the days until she leaves.  She told me she leaves her house unlocked and the back door open so that her dog (an Alsatian) can get in and out.  The dog is so fierce no-one is likely to break in.

Appreciative e-mail from head office, praising my work.  Sometimes I wonder how much people know about what I am doing.  There are lots of meaningful nods and encouraging words that relate to nothing specific.

The Birmingham job was advertised, but I have already decided I am not interested.

Thursday

Abi Reed told me meaningfully "Keep you head down until the next reorganisation".

What did she mean by that?  Was it a specific warning or just a general warning?  Or was she just inanely repeating what someone had said to her?

Most of the day spent on website issues (which are perennial).  

Friday

Up to Head Office in London where I told Ashish Sharma I was not applying for the Birmingham job.  He appeared niggled by the news.  After the brief meeting there was nothing else for me to do at Head Office so I returned to the Institute, stopping off in the City on the way back to Kings Cross.

No comments: