Monday
Former Campaign Manager Callum Smith arrived this morning and walked into the Director's office, effectively taking possession as Director. He called a brief meeting of the managers to say that nothing would change. The rest of the day he was interviewing for new staff.
I spent most of the morning working on a new campaign (which will involve a lot of house to house work). This involved talking to Carol Reynolds who is part of the Institute but works at Head Office. We discussed the reorganisation and she hinted that one of her team was going to be axed.
Lunchtime I went with Tim Watts to a cafe in the big shopping mall. We discussed infighting in ... He emphasised the importance of persistence - persistence brings benefits.
During the afternoon I went through all the projects I am working on and removed anything that was related to Vijay Singh, knowing that he would not be referred to again.
Tuesday
All the morning I worked on databases.
In the afternoon a meeting with new Senior Campaign Manager Simon C. We talked about a small targeted mailshot he wants to do. We talked carefully to each other - the last time we had met he had been very critical of his boss Callum Smith and I suppose he is now hoping all that disloyalty will be forgotten (he needn't worry, I have no intention of saying anything).
Late afternoon Vijay Singh appeared, I suppose to collect more of his stuff. I made sure I was on the 'phone when he walked back through the office chatting to people. When asked what he was going to do next he said he had lots of things on.
Wednesday
The office very quiet today and I could tell that the Admin staff (who sit near me) were becoming bored. Also noticeable is the reduction in e-mail traffic - I used to get hundreds. Obviously it will take time for Callum Smith to assert himself and start to generate activity.
I decided it was a day to file old papers. I also threw loads away, confident that many of the Vijay Singh schemes are now dead. Down in the Reading Room I talked to Gary and Matthew - they have no idea what is going to happen to the Library and no Librarian is likely to be appointed in the near future (I would want the job myself if I could be sure it was not moving back to London).
I wrote an article for an in-house magazine published by Head Office.
Thursday
Callum Smith chaired a meeting this morning to discuss our Conference event and the exhibitions programme to the end of the year. David L from Head Office attended this meeting as well as Surveys Manager Abi Reed. I took the minutes at this meeting and circulated them widely by e-mail, wanting people to know that the Institute was still in business.
In the afternoon I wrote a factsheet - three hours to research it, less than an hour to write.
Later a meeting with Callum Smith to discuss future marketing communications. He seemed young and vulnerable and I suspect his "rough shaven" appearance is an attempt to make himself look older. He told me he had not wanted to be Director but Alec Nussbaum had persuaded him.
I told him he could count on my support (an exact echo of the same promise I had made to Vijay Singh).
As soon as five o'clock arrived I packed away my papers and went home - I think I was the first to leave the building.
Friday
How civilised the Institute now feels with Callum Smith in charge.
Deputy Director Marcia Walsh hovered by my desk speculating on how Callum Smith had got the top job.
"You know how things are done" I told her.
Former Campaign Manager Callum Smith arrived this morning and walked into the Director's office, effectively taking possession as Director. He called a brief meeting of the managers to say that nothing would change. The rest of the day he was interviewing for new staff.
I spent most of the morning working on a new campaign (which will involve a lot of house to house work). This involved talking to Carol Reynolds who is part of the Institute but works at Head Office. We discussed the reorganisation and she hinted that one of her team was going to be axed.
Lunchtime I went with Tim Watts to a cafe in the big shopping mall. We discussed infighting in ... He emphasised the importance of persistence - persistence brings benefits.
During the afternoon I went through all the projects I am working on and removed anything that was related to Vijay Singh, knowing that he would not be referred to again.
Tuesday
All the morning I worked on databases.
In the afternoon a meeting with new Senior Campaign Manager Simon C. We talked about a small targeted mailshot he wants to do. We talked carefully to each other - the last time we had met he had been very critical of his boss Callum Smith and I suppose he is now hoping all that disloyalty will be forgotten (he needn't worry, I have no intention of saying anything).
Late afternoon Vijay Singh appeared, I suppose to collect more of his stuff. I made sure I was on the 'phone when he walked back through the office chatting to people. When asked what he was going to do next he said he had lots of things on.
Wednesday
The office very quiet today and I could tell that the Admin staff (who sit near me) were becoming bored. Also noticeable is the reduction in e-mail traffic - I used to get hundreds. Obviously it will take time for Callum Smith to assert himself and start to generate activity.
I decided it was a day to file old papers. I also threw loads away, confident that many of the Vijay Singh schemes are now dead. Down in the Reading Room I talked to Gary and Matthew - they have no idea what is going to happen to the Library and no Librarian is likely to be appointed in the near future (I would want the job myself if I could be sure it was not moving back to London).
I wrote an article for an in-house magazine published by Head Office.
Thursday
Callum Smith chaired a meeting this morning to discuss our Conference event and the exhibitions programme to the end of the year. David L from Head Office attended this meeting as well as Surveys Manager Abi Reed. I took the minutes at this meeting and circulated them widely by e-mail, wanting people to know that the Institute was still in business.
In the afternoon I wrote a factsheet - three hours to research it, less than an hour to write.
Later a meeting with Callum Smith to discuss future marketing communications. He seemed young and vulnerable and I suspect his "rough shaven" appearance is an attempt to make himself look older. He told me he had not wanted to be Director but Alec Nussbaum had persuaded him.
I told him he could count on my support (an exact echo of the same promise I had made to Vijay Singh).
As soon as five o'clock arrived I packed away my papers and went home - I think I was the first to leave the building.
Friday
How civilised the Institute now feels with Callum Smith in charge.
Deputy Director Marcia Walsh hovered by my desk speculating on how Callum Smith had got the top job.
"You know how things are done" I told her.
No comments:
Post a Comment