Tuesday, August 20, 2013

David Miranda and his tete-a-tete

Still perplexed by all the fuss over David Miranda and his tete a tete with Her Majesty's security services at Heathrow at the weekend.

It was only for nine hours and was hardly an arduous interview.  Normally extroverts like David Miranda would jump at the chance to talk about "my whole life".  In any case, you can easily be obliged to wait for nine hours at an international airport for a whole range of reasons.  Did they not offer Mr Miranda a cup of tea?  Had they run out of digestive biscuits?  Were they not respectful enough of Mr Miranda's position as boyfriend to a celebrity journalist? 

Pah, Mr Miranda - if you don't like our laws don't come here, I'm sure no-one's going to miss you.

And Glenn Greenwald could you not have behaved with a bit more dignity when welcoming back your friend?  He was only detained for nine hours - that's the equivalent of a compulsory speed awareness course in the United Kingdom.  It hardly warrants your red face and trembling lower lip and air of almost-not-blubbing as you made those bitter denunciations against the United Kingdom.

And did I detect an element of threat in the way you said (about the United Kingdom):  "I think they will be sorry for what they did". 

That sounds like a declaration of war to me.

If this is a war situation I would want and expect our security forces to fight back.

No comments: