Saturday, November 03, 2012

Six point plan to improve my health

I have not been feeling well recently.  Especially I have been feeling tired all the time, I keep catching colds, and sometimes I struggle to breath (a horrible experience).  My GP says he can't find anything wrong with me, so I went to see Helen's mother who is a nutritionist (I offered to pay her for the appointment, but she wouldn't accept anything).

She has given me a six point plan to improve my health.  It covers diet, exercise, sleep, stress, food supplements and phyto-nutrition.  I have my doubts but I am going to try it for a month.

Diet

















Most GP's have no training in nutrition, and yet it is the single most important factor in maintaining good health.  Poor diet is the cause of most chronic (non-infectious) disease.  Bad diet leads to heart disease, cancers, depression etc.  I am supposed to be giving up bread (which I know is impossible, but rye bread is allowed), red meat, sugar.  No processed food of any kind.  Replace with fruit and vegetables (10 portions, ideally including at least three apples a day), lean meat, occasional good quality dark chocolate (high polyphenol).

No alcohol (I might last a month), no tea or coffee (no chance of this), no fizzy drinks.

Exercise















I'm aiming to run three miles a day.  Because the weather is so cold a wet now I am stopping off at a gym on my way home and using a treadmill.  Walking also counts, so at the weekends I will walk the dogs for three miles.

















I also need to increase muscle mass, which helps metabolic rate.

So I am looking to Paul Amos for advice http://www.theactivechannel.com/player/abman-ripped-365

Sleep
















My bed from a recent stay in an hotel. Not enough sleep is one of the areas I know I must improve.  Most nights I am lucky to get 5 hours when really I should be aiming for 8 hours.

The trouble is I am usually wide awake at 11pm (Newsnight) when I should be preparing to go to sleep.

Stress















I find the easiest way to relieve stress is to walk the dogs in the countryside.  If I miss this for any reason (overwork, going away, bad weather) I start to feel stressed.  Stress is a big killer, so needs to be addressed.

Food supplements


















Your GP will tell you that you can get all the nutrients you need "from a balanced diet".  This overlooks the fact that it is almost impossible to eat an old-style balanced diet without spending lots of time in preparation and cooking and lots of money buying high-quality fresh food.  I have been told to take magnesium and chromium, and I am working my way through these giant tubs of capsules.

Phyto-nutrients - eating the right plants




















This is the area that is probably the most controversial part of the advice I was given.  Basically Helen's mother has developed an interpretation of nutrition inspired by Goethe's Urpflanze theory.  Humans evolved from primates over a period of millions of years, and for almost all of that time they ate only plants, wandering in enormous continental circuits and consuming roots, barks, leaves, berries, nuts, flowers etc from a continuous rotation of edible plants.  As the seasons changed different plants came into season, and so the diet was varied on an almost weekly basis.  The evolution of the human body was intimately linked to the consumption of these plants, and without them our bodies are susceptible to disease (this is supposedly because the wet internal surfaces of the body are home to billions of microbes which regulate our health, and over the course of evolution these microbes were modified by the plants eaten by primitive humans). 

Apparently there are 350 different plant parts you need to consume each year to maintain optimum health and keep disease at bay (so roughly one different plant per day).

You don't need much, perhaps only a little of each plant extract, but the important thing is to keep up the variation and rotation.  There is evidence that suggests in the paleolithic period a travelling "stock-pot" of plants was kept on the go, supplemented with new plants on a daily basis and providing a sort of paleolithic superfood.  In the comments section I have listed the majority of plants, many of them have constituents which are anti-inflammatory (the importance of this depends on whether you believe cancer is inflammation that is out of control).

Caveat - I have no idea whether any of this is true, and I record this mainly because Helen's mother is notorious for not writing up her work.  Also some of the plants are poisonous.  I have no intention of trying all of them (you can buy most of the plants extracts from Neals Yard in Covent Garden, but they are not cheap).

Anyway, I freely admit I have my doubts about this theory, and will probably just try one or two and see how it goes.

3 comments:

a from l said...

Achillea millefolium L. yarrow
Aconitum napellus monkshood
Acorus calamus L. sweet flag
Aesculus hippocastanum L. horse chestnut
Agrimonia eupatoria L. agrimony
Agropyron repens (L.) Beauv. couch grass
Alchemilla arvensis parsley piert
Alchemilla vulgaris Rothm. ladies mantle
Aletris farinosa L. true unicorn
Allium sativum L garlic
Aloe vera L. aloe
Alpinia officinarum Hance. galangal
Althaea officinalis L. marsh mallow
Ammi visnaga (L.) Lamark khellin
Andrographis paniculata (Burm.F.) Nees andrographis
Anemone pulsatilla L. pulsatilla
Anemopsis californica(Nutt.) Hook.& Arn. yerba mansa
Angelica archangelica L. angelica
Angelica sinensis (oliv.) Diels dong quai
Apium graveolens L. celery
Arctium lappa L. burdock
Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng. bearberry
Arnica montana L. Arnica
Artemisia abrotanum L. southernwood
Artemisia absinthium L. wormwood
Artemisia annua L. sweet wormwood
Artemisia vulgaris L. mugwort
Asclepias tuberosa L. pleurisy root
Astragalus membranaceus Bunge. astragalus
Atractyloides lancea (Thunb.) DC. cang zhu
Atractyloides macrocephala Koidz. bai zhu
Atropa belladonna L. belladona
Avena sativa L. oat
Bacopa monniera brahmi
Ballota nigra L. black horehound
Baptisia tinctoria L wild indigo
Barosma betulina (Thunb.) Bartl. & Wendl. buchu
Berberis aquifolium oregon grape
Berberis vulgaris L. barberry
Betula pendula Roth. white birch
Borago officinalis L. borage
Boswellia serrata Roxb. olibanum
Bupleurium chinense DC. Chinese thoroughwax , (Chai Hu)
Calendula officinalis L. marigold
Capsella bursa-pastoris (L.) Medik. shepherd’s purse
Capsicum annuum L. cayenne
Carbenia benedicta L. blessed thistle
Carduus marianus L. milk thistle
Carum carvi L. caraway
Cassia angustifolia Vahl. senna
Catharanthus roseus L. madagascar periwinkle
Caulophyllum thalictroides Michx. blue cohosh
Centaurium erythraea Raf. centaury
Centella asciatica (L.) Urban gotu kola
Cephaelis ipecacuahna (Brot.) Tussac. ipecacuahna
cetraria islandica (L.) Achar. Iceland moss
Chamaelirium luteum (L.) A. Gray. false unicorn
chamaemelum nobile (L.) All. roman chamomile
Chamomilla recutita L. german chamomile
Chelidonium majus L. greater celandine
Chelone glabra L. balmony
Chionanthus virginicus L. fringetree
Cimicifuga foetida L. bugbane (Sheng Ma)
Cimicifuga racemosa (L.) Nutt. black cohosh
Cinchona calisaya Wedd. quinine
Cinnamomum verum J. Presl. cinnamon
Clematis chinensis Osbeck. clematis (wei ling xian)
Cnicus benedictus L. blessed thistle
Codonopsis pilosula (Franch.) Nanfeldt. codonopsis (dang shen)
Cola nitida Schott. & Endl. cola
Coleus forskohlii forskolin (Makandi)
Collinsonia canadensis L. stoneroot
Commiphora molmol Engl. myrrh
Commiphora mukul (Hook. Ex Stocks) Engl. guggul
Convallaria majalis L. lily of the valley
Coptis chinensis Franch. gold thread (huang lian) rhizome
Cordyceps sinensis (Berk.) Sacc. cordyceps (dong chong zia cao)
Cornus officinalis Sieb.& Zucc. dogwood fruit (shan zhu yu)
Corydalis yanhusuo W.T. Wang. corydalis (yan hu suo)
Crataegus laevigata (Poir.) DC. English hawthorn
Crysanthemum parthenium L. feverfew
Curcuma longa L. turmeric
Curcuma zedoaria (Berg.) Roscoe. zedoary
Cyperus rotundus L. nut grass (xiang fu)
Cytisus scoparius (L.) Link. Scotch broom
Datura strammonium thornapple
Daucus carota L. wild carrot
Dioscorea opposita Thunb. Chinese yam (shan yao)
Dioscorea villosa L. wild yam
Echinacea angustifolia DC. narrow leafed puple cone flower
Echinacea pallida Nutt. pale flowered echinacea
Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench purple coneflower
Eleutherococcus senticosus Rupr. Ex Maxim. eleuthero (Siberian Ginseng)
Elletaria cardamomum (L.) Maton. cardamon
Ephedra sinica Stapf. ephedra (ma huang)
Epilobium parviflorum Schreb. small flowered willow
Equisetum arvense L. horsetail
Erythraea centaurium L. centaury
Eschscholzia californica Cham. California poppy
Eucalyptus globulus Labill. eucalyptus

a from l said...

Eucommia ulmoides Oliver. eucommia (du zong)
Eugenia jambolana (see syzigium cumini) Jambul
Euonymus atropurpureus Jacq. wahoo
Eupatorium perfoliatum L. boneset
Eupatorium purpureum L. gravel root
Euphorbia pilulifera L. euphorbia
Euphrasia officinalis L. eyebright
Fagopyron esculentum L. buckwheat
Filipendula ulmaria (L.) Maxim. Meadowsweet
Foeniculum vulgare Mill. fennel
Fucus vesiculosus L. bladderwrack
Fumaria officinalis L. fumitory
Galega officinalis L. goats rue
Galium aperine L. cleavers
Ganoderma lucidum (Leyss.ex Fr.) P. Karst. reishi (ling zhi)
Gelsemium sempervirens (L.) Aiton. yellow jasmine
Gentiana lutea L. gentian
Geranium maculatum L. cranesbill
Geum urbanum L. avens
Ginkgo biloba L. ginkgo
Glechoma hederacea L. ground Ivy
Glycyrrhiza glabra L. licorice
Glycyrrhiza uralensis Fisch ex DC Chinese licorice (gan cao)
Grifola frondosa (Fr.) S. F. Gray maitake
Grindelia robusta Nutt. grindelia
Guaicum officinale L. lignum vitae
Gymnema sylvestre L. gymnema
Hamamelis virginiana L. witch-hazel
Harpagophytum procumbens DC. Ex Meisn devil’s claw
Humulus lupulus L. hops
Hydrangea arborescens L. hydrangea
Hydrastis canadensis L. goldenseal
Hydrocotyl sciatica (L.) Urban. gotu kola
Hyoscyamus niger L. henbane
Hypericum perforatum L. St. John’s wort
Hyssopus officinalis L. hyssop
Inula helenium L. elecampane
Iris versicolor L. blue flag
Jateorrhiza palmata calumba
Juglans cinerea L. butternut
Juniperus communis L. juniper
Krameria triandra Ruiz. & Pav. rhatany
Lactuca virosa L. wild lettuce
Lamium album L. white deadnettle
Larrea tridentata (Sesse. & Moc. Ex DC.) Coville. chaparral
Lavendula angustifolia Mill. English lavender
Ledebouriella seseloides (Hoffm.) Wolff. siler (fang feng)
Lentinus edodes (Berk.) Singer. shiitake
Leonurus cardiaca L. motherwort
Leptandra virginica (L.) Nutt. culvers root
Ligusticum chuanxiong Hort. sechuan lovage (chuan xiong)
Ligusticum porteri J. M. Coulter & J. N. Rose. osha
Lobelia inflata L. lobelia
Lomatium dissectum (Nutt.) Math. & Const. lomatium
Lycium barabarum L. lycium (gou qi zi)
Lycopus virginicus L. bugleweed
Mahonia aquifolium (Pursh) Nutt. oregon grape
Marrubium vulgare L. white horehound
Marsdenia condurango Reichenbach condurango
Matricaria recutita L. German chamomile
Medicago sativa L. alfalfa
Melilotus officinalis L. melilot
Melissa officinalis L. lemon balm
Mentha pulegium L. pennyroyal
Mentha spicata L. spearmint
Mentha x piperita L. peppermint
Menyanthes trifoliata L. bogbean
Mitchella repens L. partridge berry
Monascus purpureus red yeast rice
Morinda citrifolia L. noni
Myrica cerifera L. bayberry
Nepeta cataria L. catnip
Oplopanax horridus (Sm.) Miq. devil’s club
Paeonia lactiflora Pall. white peony (bai shao)
Paeonia suffructicosa Andr. tree peony (mu dan pi)
Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. Korean ginseng
Panax notoginseng (Burk.) F. H. Chen. tienchi
Panax quinquefolius L. American ginseng
Parietaria officinalis L. pellitory of the wall
Passiflora incarnata L. passion flower
Paullinia cupana Humb., Bonpl., & Kunth. guarana
Peumus boldus Molina. boldo
Phytolacca americana L. poke root
picrasma excelsa (Swartz) Planch. quassia
Pilocarpus jaborandi Holmes jaborandi
Pimpinella anisum L. anise
Piper methysticum G. Forster kava kava
Piscidia erythrina L. Jamaican dogwood
Plantago lanceolata L. plantain
Polygala senega L. senega
Polygonum bistorta L. bistort
Polygonum multiflorum Thunb. fo-ti (he shou wu)
Populus balsaifera L. var. balsamifera. balm of gilead
Populus tremuloides poplar
Potentilla erecta (L.) Raeusch. tormentil
Primula veris L. cowslip
Prunus serotina Ehrh. wild cherry
Ptychopetalum olacoides Bentham muira puama
Pulmonaria officinalis L. lungwort
Quercus alba L. white oak

a from l said...

Ranunculus ficaria L. pilewort
Rehmannia glutinosa Steud. rehmannia (shu di huang)
Rhamnus catharticus L. buckthorn
Rhamnus purshiana DC. cascara sagrada
Rheum officinale Baill. turkey rhubarb
Rhus aromatica L. sweet sumach
Rosa damascena L. damask rose
Rosemarinus officinalis L. rosemary
Rubus idaeus L. raspberry
Rumex acetosella L. sheep sorrel
Rumex crispus L. yellow dock
Ruscus aculeatus L. butcher’s broom
Ruta graveolens L. rue
Salix alba L. white willow
Salix purpurea L. black willow
Salvia officinalis L. Dalmatian sage
Sambucus nigra L. European elder
Salvia miltiorrhiza Bunge. red rooted sage (dan shen)
Sanguinaria canadensis L. blood root
Schizandra chinensis (Turcz.) Baill. schizandra (wu wei zi)
Scrophularia nodosa L. figwort
Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi. baikal skullcap (huang qin)
Scutellaria lateriflora L. skullcap
Selenicereus grandiflorus (L.) Britton & Rose. night blooming cactus
Senna alexandrina P. Mill senna
Serenoa repens (W. Bartram.) Small. saw palmetto
Silybum marianum (L.) Gaertn. milk thistle
Smilax ornata Lem. sarsaparilla
Solanum dulcamare bittersweet
Solidago virgaurea L. goldenrod
Stachys officinalis (L.) Tervis. wood betony
Stellaria media (L.) Vill. chickweed
Stephania tetranda S. Moore. stephania
Stevia rebaudiana (Bertoni) Hemsl. stevia
Stillingia sylvatica Garden ex. L. queen’s delight
Styrax benzoin Dryander. benzoin
Symphytum officinale L. comfrey
Symplocarpus foetidus (L.) Salisb. Ex. Nutt. skunk cabbage
Syzigium aromaticum (L.) Merr. & L. M. Perry clove
Syzigium cumini Skeels. jambul
Tabebuia impeteginosa (Mart. ex. DC.) Standl. pau d’arco
Tanacetum parthenium (L.) Schultz-Bip. feverfew
Tanacetum vulgare L. tansy
Taraxacum officinale G. H. Weber ex. Wigg. dandelion
Terminalia bellerica (Gaertn.) Roxb. Belleric myrobalan
Thuja occidentalis L. thuja
Thymus vulgaris L. thyme
Tilia x europea L. linden
Trifolium pratense L. red clover
Trillium erectum L. beth root
Turnera diffusa Willd. Ex. Schult damiana
Tussilago farfara L. coltsfoot
Tylophora asthmatica asthma weed
Ulmus fulva L. slippery elm
Uncaria tormentosa (Wildd.) DC. cat’s claw
Urginea maritimum (L.) Baker squills
Urtica dioica L. stinging nettle
Vaccinium myrtillus L. bilberry
Valeriana officinalis L. European valerian
Valeriana wallichii DC. Indian valerian
Verbascum thapsus L. mullein
Verbena officinalis L. vervain
Viburnum opulus L. cramp bark
Viburnum prunifolium black haw
Vinca minor L. lesser periwinkle
Viola odorata L. sweet violet
Viola tricolor L. heartsease
Viscum album L. mistletoe
Vitex agnus-castus L. chaste tree
Withania somnifera Dunal. ashwaganda
Yucca filiamentosa L. yucca
Zanthoxyllum americanum Mill. prickly ash
Zea mays L. cornsilk
Zingiber officinale Roscoe. ginger