Monday
As usual, there were many e-mails waiting when I opened up my computer, and it took most of the morning to reply to these.
I am plagued by David L at Head Office asking about the Exhibitions programme (which I had rashly volunteered to co-ordinate).
I wrote some posts for various web forums - who knows if this sort of work is worthwhile.
When I left the office I wondered where all the day had gone.
Tuesday
Late in the afternoon an unexpected meeting - all the heads of department were called into the office of the Institute's Director Vijay Singh. We were addressed by Alec Nussbaum who told us that Head Office was undecided about what to do about the Institute (if he was undecided, why the meeting?). Originally the Institute had been set up in "the dark days of nineteen seventy-three, to act as an intellectual crypteia" (his words) "and should logically have closed in seventy-nine when its goals were largely accomplished..."
The Institute did not close in 1979, but continued in various forms and under different Directors, often with no very clear goals or achievements. Although ostensibly run by Head Office, the Institute is "owned" by 150 members who pay an average subscription of £1,000 a year. This had been a lot of money in 1973, but now barely covers core costs.
The move out of London a few years ago and sale of the original offices had raised a substantial sum, but this money had been badly invested and is fast running out.
The options before us are: merger into Head Office (including relocation back to London); putting up subscriptions so that they cover all costs (unlikely to be able to do this, given the nature of the members); closing the Institute.
Vijay Singh then intervened and said that a fourth option was to raise money from a different source, and described a recent very substantial donation. Alec Nussbaum just said "Hmm". Marcia Walsh (Accounts and also Acting Deputy Director) shuffled her papers, as if bursting to say something.
We then discussed the Library, which is located on the ground floor of the building. Since the move from London very few people had used the reading room, and it could not justify three staff (Manager Stan, who was at the meeting, and Library Assistants Gary and Matthew). Alec Nussbaum wants to move the Library back to London immediately and had already located rooms for it to go into.
Nothing could be done without the agreement of the members, and so an EGM is to be held. Probably this will be in the New Year, January or February. Until then the Institute would continue as normal.
Wednesday
After yesterday's bombshell we gathered in Vijay Singh's office again, this time without Alec Nussbaum, and talked about what might happen. Vijay Singh dismissed the Nussbaum proposals, saying they would never be approved by the members. The Library, however, might have to go.
A few of us stayed in the office over lunch, and watched Prime Minister's Questions on the television.
Gavin's birthday, and I signed the office card which Stan later presented to him.
In the afternoon I wrote a rebuttal for a magazine. I had to deal with more hassle from Head Office, especially over exhibitions. Abi Reed (Reseach Manager) and myself called into a meeting with Vijay Singh to discuss "downsizing" possibilities for the Institute - significantly Marcia Walsh was not in this meeting and we were asked to keep things to ourselves.
Thursday
We seem to have gone on the offensive. Vijay Singh uncovered a meeting planned between Alec Nussbaum and our Development Manager Tim Watts. It caused quite a stir in the management meeting and a shamefaced Tim Watts had to explain what he was up to (obviously he was trying to secure his own future in the event of any move back to London).
New projects announced looking at Canada and China. These plans were so interesting that I stayed late to work on them. I was the last to leave the office and switched off the lights and set the alarm.
Friday
Slightly demoralised that the papers I had laid out on Monday were still there on Friday - it is so difficult to get things done (I am a "finisher-completer" according to the Belbin test, and do not like things hanging around).
In the afternoon a meeting with the Birmingham office - if necessary they can operate independently from the Institute and so are not greatly affected by the Nussbaum proposals.
Very tired when I got home so that I laid full out on the sofa in the Sitting Room to doze while listening to Channel 4 News, the dog sleeping at my feet like a medieval recumbent effigy.
As usual, there were many e-mails waiting when I opened up my computer, and it took most of the morning to reply to these.
I am plagued by David L at Head Office asking about the Exhibitions programme (which I had rashly volunteered to co-ordinate).
I wrote some posts for various web forums - who knows if this sort of work is worthwhile.
When I left the office I wondered where all the day had gone.
Tuesday
Late in the afternoon an unexpected meeting - all the heads of department were called into the office of the Institute's Director Vijay Singh. We were addressed by Alec Nussbaum who told us that Head Office was undecided about what to do about the Institute (if he was undecided, why the meeting?). Originally the Institute had been set up in "the dark days of nineteen seventy-three, to act as an intellectual crypteia" (his words) "and should logically have closed in seventy-nine when its goals were largely accomplished..."
The Institute did not close in 1979, but continued in various forms and under different Directors, often with no very clear goals or achievements. Although ostensibly run by Head Office, the Institute is "owned" by 150 members who pay an average subscription of £1,000 a year. This had been a lot of money in 1973, but now barely covers core costs.
The move out of London a few years ago and sale of the original offices had raised a substantial sum, but this money had been badly invested and is fast running out.
The options before us are: merger into Head Office (including relocation back to London); putting up subscriptions so that they cover all costs (unlikely to be able to do this, given the nature of the members); closing the Institute.
Vijay Singh then intervened and said that a fourth option was to raise money from a different source, and described a recent very substantial donation. Alec Nussbaum just said "Hmm". Marcia Walsh (Accounts and also Acting Deputy Director) shuffled her papers, as if bursting to say something.
We then discussed the Library, which is located on the ground floor of the building. Since the move from London very few people had used the reading room, and it could not justify three staff (Manager Stan, who was at the meeting, and Library Assistants Gary and Matthew). Alec Nussbaum wants to move the Library back to London immediately and had already located rooms for it to go into.
Nothing could be done without the agreement of the members, and so an EGM is to be held. Probably this will be in the New Year, January or February. Until then the Institute would continue as normal.
Wednesday
After yesterday's bombshell we gathered in Vijay Singh's office again, this time without Alec Nussbaum, and talked about what might happen. Vijay Singh dismissed the Nussbaum proposals, saying they would never be approved by the members. The Library, however, might have to go.
A few of us stayed in the office over lunch, and watched Prime Minister's Questions on the television.
Gavin's birthday, and I signed the office card which Stan later presented to him.
In the afternoon I wrote a rebuttal for a magazine. I had to deal with more hassle from Head Office, especially over exhibitions. Abi Reed (Reseach Manager) and myself called into a meeting with Vijay Singh to discuss "downsizing" possibilities for the Institute - significantly Marcia Walsh was not in this meeting and we were asked to keep things to ourselves.
Thursday
We seem to have gone on the offensive. Vijay Singh uncovered a meeting planned between Alec Nussbaum and our Development Manager Tim Watts. It caused quite a stir in the management meeting and a shamefaced Tim Watts had to explain what he was up to (obviously he was trying to secure his own future in the event of any move back to London).
New projects announced looking at Canada and China. These plans were so interesting that I stayed late to work on them. I was the last to leave the office and switched off the lights and set the alarm.
Friday
Slightly demoralised that the papers I had laid out on Monday were still there on Friday - it is so difficult to get things done (I am a "finisher-completer" according to the Belbin test, and do not like things hanging around).
In the afternoon a meeting with the Birmingham office - if necessary they can operate independently from the Institute and so are not greatly affected by the Nussbaum proposals.
Very tired when I got home so that I laid full out on the sofa in the Sitting Room to doze while listening to Channel 4 News, the dog sleeping at my feet like a medieval recumbent effigy.
No comments:
Post a Comment