"attach high value to the teaching profession. Indeed, teachers are revered. In Korea, a key part of the strategy over decades has been to attract great people into teaching by paying them excellently – and finding the money to do so by having large classes" - no discussion about the issue of teacher gender. In the United Kingdom teaching has increasingly become a female profession and thus suffers from the relatively low value that society places upon female professionals. I cannot imagine that teaching in Pacific Asia is a female dominated "velvet ghetto".
"the quality of the teachers creates a virtuous cycle with families, which across Pacific Asia are strongly committed to education and have very high expectations of their children" - unfortunately in the United Kingdom the comprehensives are ideologically wedded to ideas of equality that mitigate against any parents wanting their children to do better than the norm.
"In contrast to Atlantic societies, neither the schools nor the parents in Pacific Asia expect their children to do poorly simply because they are from poor backgrounds" - no discussion here about discipline in schools - is it as lax in Pacific Asia as it is in the United Kingdom?
I'm afraid that the more I read the IPPR Report Oceans of Innovation the more I conclude that it is at best flawed, and possibly even deliberately misleading and ideologically biased.
"the quality of the teachers creates a virtuous cycle with families, which across Pacific Asia are strongly committed to education and have very high expectations of their children" - unfortunately in the United Kingdom the comprehensives are ideologically wedded to ideas of equality that mitigate against any parents wanting their children to do better than the norm.
"In contrast to Atlantic societies, neither the schools nor the parents in Pacific Asia expect their children to do poorly simply because they are from poor backgrounds" - no discussion here about discipline in schools - is it as lax in Pacific Asia as it is in the United Kingdom?
I'm afraid that the more I read the IPPR Report Oceans of Innovation the more I conclude that it is at best flawed, and possibly even deliberately misleading and ideologically biased.
No comments:
Post a Comment