Today is All Saints Day, a fact acknowledged by Andrew Neil on Daily Politics this lunchtime (although seemingly no mention elsewhere on the BBC).
On the front page of today's Guardian an article about the need for an evangelising Archbishop of Canterbury to increase attendances (preferably a High Church evangelist, as low church jellies are not to everyone's taste).
All Saints Day means the singing of my favourite hymn For All The Saints, and if I am back in time I may try to get to 6.30 Evensong at St Nicholas (the highest church I know).
O blest communion, fellowship divine!
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
All are one in Thee, for all are Thine.
Alleluia, Alleluia!
O may Thy soldiers, faithful, true and bold,
Fight as the saints who nobly fought of old,
And win with them the victor’s crown of gold.
Alleluia, Alleluia!
And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long,
Steals on the ear the distant triumph song,
And hearts are brave, again, and arms are strong.
Alleluia, Alleluia!
The golden evening brightens in the west;
Soon, soon to faithful warriors comes their rest;
Sweet is the calm of paradise the blessed.
Alleluia, Alleluia!
On the front page of today's Guardian an article about the need for an evangelising Archbishop of Canterbury to increase attendances (preferably a High Church evangelist, as low church jellies are not to everyone's taste).
All Saints Day means the singing of my favourite hymn For All The Saints, and if I am back in time I may try to get to 6.30 Evensong at St Nicholas (the highest church I know).
O blest communion, fellowship divine!
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
All are one in Thee, for all are Thine.
Alleluia, Alleluia!
O may Thy soldiers, faithful, true and bold,
Fight as the saints who nobly fought of old,
And win with them the victor’s crown of gold.
Alleluia, Alleluia!
And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long,
Steals on the ear the distant triumph song,
And hearts are brave, again, and arms are strong.
Alleluia, Alleluia!
The golden evening brightens in the west;
Soon, soon to faithful warriors comes their rest;
Sweet is the calm of paradise the blessed.
Alleluia, Alleluia!
No comments:
Post a Comment