Front page article in The Times today in which Ruth Gledhill reveals "secret" machinations by the Church of England hierarchy to impose women bishops despite the vote against last Tuesday. I know clerics are unworldly but surely they must see that this sort of thing is provocative and counter-productive. And although Anglicans are laughed at for being wishy-washy, do not underestimate the strength of faith among the traditionalists - we do not want to see self-immolations in Deans Yard outside Church House.
Personally I do not know enough about doctrine to say whether women bishops are legitimate or not.
I do know that parishes which objected to women priests were given assurances and promises that have subsequently proved to be worthless (I am thinking of St Michael and All Angels here).
Note: William Fittall, secretary-general of the General Synod and the person who wrote the "secret" memo, was born to working-class parents, educated at Dover Grammar School and then Christchurch College Oxford and subsequently into the Establishment.
Also in today's Times was a letter from the Rector of Caston making the point that if the vote to oppose women bishops was invalid then the vote to approve women priests must be equally invalid since the electoral process for both decisions was the same (you may need to click on the image to read the letter).
I know Holy Cross church in Caston - a beautiful building with a holy and numinous interior. The village has many links with the early settlement of America. Brass chandelier that came from Hampton Court palace.


No comments:
Post a Comment