Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Ken Clarke's influence

On the Today programme this morning Tory grandee Ken Clarke defended the European Union in all its manifold ways (he actually said he wanted government from Brussels), defended open border immigration, and told us we need "serious" professional politicians in power not ordinary people.

As a Conservative I found this vision of politics entirely repugnant.

Mr Clarke claimed he knew and understood the electorate of the Newark constituency, soon to experience a by-election.

I also understand those people Mr Clarke.

At tweedy charity events I have stood at the grand facade of Leadenham House and looked out at the Vale of Trent.  I have sat in the nave of St Helen's Brant Broughton when it was filled with local landowners.  I have attended the Plough Sunday service and crossroad revels at the village of Morton - perhaps one of the villages you were referring to on the Today programme this morning.

I doubt whether these people support your vision of the world Mr Clarke.

Unfortunately, people like you have stolen the Conservative party.

Therefore, based on what you said on the Today programme this morning, I find it very difficult to advise anyone in the Newark constituency to vote Conservative in the forthcoming by-election.

Certainly I would advise them to vote.

And on no account should they vote Labour or Liberal Democrat.

But based on Ken Clarke's statements on the Today programme this morning I would not advise anyone in the Newark constituency to vote Conservative.

No comments: