Monday
A cup of coffee at my desk as I went over the Technology paper I am working on. I have to admit that I am not very interested in science and technology and I find gadgets boring. And yet "gadgets" are what young consumers apparently want - is it possible we can become a gadget-producing economy supplying China (where the market for gadgets is huge) with electronic distractions?
E-mail exchanges with friends, and far too much time spent idling on Amazon. This sort of laziness was not possible when Vijay Singh was Director. There simply wasn't the time.
Head Office contacted me asking if I wanted to go on a research "mission" but I turned it down as it would mean staying away over Sunday and Monday.
Tuesday
I have been asked to write a section of a supplement, and have been struggling over it for a couple of weeks. Today I tried writing the information as a fictional short story and it seemed to work. I'm actually getting paid for this one, which is nice. Over three thousand words. I drank mineral water instead of coffee, skipped lunch and tried to ignore interruptions from 'phone calls and visitors. Although I worked at great speed I was pleased with the final result.
Callum Smith, our Director, was in the office today but he just sat in the Director's suite without calling any meetings or issuing instructions. Perhaps he is over-awed by his new role. Tensions and bickering among some of the staff which he does nothing about.
I did some preparation for my visit to Head Office tomorrow, not wanting to be criticised for anything I have not thought through. Perhaps I worry too much and brood over things that might go wrong. Head Office is Darwinian in the way office politics is practised.
Wednesday
Usual difficulty over finding a parking place at the station car park. I got on a slow train, and with delays it took nearly two hours to get to London. I read briefing papers and then the Guardian.
At Head Office I met Kirsty W and Mary McF and we went over the PR for the conference event. We were supposed to be just adding the finishing touches, but actually they have done hardly any work on the event. I made careful notes as they are very adept at blaming others for things they have not done.
To Accounts on the third floor to collect papers to take back to the Institute.
Thursday
All the computers were down when I arrived at the office this morning, which meant that the whole morning was more or less wasted.
A new member of staff from Head Office was at the Institute as part of his induction. He just talked and talked and talked, all endless self-important babble. I found an excuse to go down to the Reading Room to get away from him.
Friday
Hardly anyone in the office today, which made things very quiet.
Research on housing, which was boring.
An e-mail from Mary McF at Head Office full of weasel words about the conference event. She is so lazy and ineffective. And yet it is very difficult to catch her out.
Called into his office by Callum Smith for a confidential briefing ("Let me close the door before I tell you...").
A cup of coffee at my desk as I went over the Technology paper I am working on. I have to admit that I am not very interested in science and technology and I find gadgets boring. And yet "gadgets" are what young consumers apparently want - is it possible we can become a gadget-producing economy supplying China (where the market for gadgets is huge) with electronic distractions?
E-mail exchanges with friends, and far too much time spent idling on Amazon. This sort of laziness was not possible when Vijay Singh was Director. There simply wasn't the time.
Head Office contacted me asking if I wanted to go on a research "mission" but I turned it down as it would mean staying away over Sunday and Monday.
Tuesday
I have been asked to write a section of a supplement, and have been struggling over it for a couple of weeks. Today I tried writing the information as a fictional short story and it seemed to work. I'm actually getting paid for this one, which is nice. Over three thousand words. I drank mineral water instead of coffee, skipped lunch and tried to ignore interruptions from 'phone calls and visitors. Although I worked at great speed I was pleased with the final result.
Callum Smith, our Director, was in the office today but he just sat in the Director's suite without calling any meetings or issuing instructions. Perhaps he is over-awed by his new role. Tensions and bickering among some of the staff which he does nothing about.
I did some preparation for my visit to Head Office tomorrow, not wanting to be criticised for anything I have not thought through. Perhaps I worry too much and brood over things that might go wrong. Head Office is Darwinian in the way office politics is practised.
Wednesday
Usual difficulty over finding a parking place at the station car park. I got on a slow train, and with delays it took nearly two hours to get to London. I read briefing papers and then the Guardian.
At Head Office I met Kirsty W and Mary McF and we went over the PR for the conference event. We were supposed to be just adding the finishing touches, but actually they have done hardly any work on the event. I made careful notes as they are very adept at blaming others for things they have not done.
To Accounts on the third floor to collect papers to take back to the Institute.
Thursday
All the computers were down when I arrived at the office this morning, which meant that the whole morning was more or less wasted.
A new member of staff from Head Office was at the Institute as part of his induction. He just talked and talked and talked, all endless self-important babble. I found an excuse to go down to the Reading Room to get away from him.
Friday
Hardly anyone in the office today, which made things very quiet.
Research on housing, which was boring.
An e-mail from Mary McF at Head Office full of weasel words about the conference event. She is so lazy and ineffective. And yet it is very difficult to catch her out.
Called into his office by Callum Smith for a confidential briefing ("Let me close the door before I tell you...").
No comments:
Post a Comment