Sunday afternoon, and one of those days in the year when normally inaccessible places are open for a few hours.
I drove about thirty miles to a hilly part of the county, upwards on a narrow lane that went along a high ridge, although the thick trees either side masked the view. Eventually I turned off into a private estate, over juddering cattle grids, ever upwards. As I reached the summit the bucketing rain came to a stop although when I stepped out of my car the wind nearly blew me away.
Above: The park is exquisite, although perhaps my photograph does not do it justice. Eighteenth-century hall, ornamental lakes, fine trees. It was made more romantic by the fierce, but mild, wind that was blowing.
Above: Behind me was the Palladian church, obviously built in such an impractical position to enhance the view from the hall.
Above: inside the interior is more or less untouched. Early eighteenth-century woodwork including these communion rails. The nave filled with box pews.
Above: beautiful plasterwork on the ceiling.
Above: the pulpit is this incredible towering construction. Few seeing this could doubt the emphasis placed upon The Word. Everything in the church was well kept.
Above: hatchments were displayed on the gallery at the west end. If you look closely at this coat of arms (you might need to click on the image to enlarge it) you can see that it includes heraldic ducks. Ornamental ducks swam on the lakes below.
Above: these cattle grazing peacefully belie the gale that was blowing - exhilarating but also alarming, and threatening at any moment to bring back the rain.
Above: I stopped to have a closer look at the house. Supposedly 1720s. Doric entrance but otherwise rather plain. Flemish bond brickwork. The park taken right up to the house, with no suggestion of a garden. Brick pediment with a little stone.
I drove about thirty miles to a hilly part of the county, upwards on a narrow lane that went along a high ridge, although the thick trees either side masked the view. Eventually I turned off into a private estate, over juddering cattle grids, ever upwards. As I reached the summit the bucketing rain came to a stop although when I stepped out of my car the wind nearly blew me away.
Above: The park is exquisite, although perhaps my photograph does not do it justice. Eighteenth-century hall, ornamental lakes, fine trees. It was made more romantic by the fierce, but mild, wind that was blowing.
Above: Behind me was the Palladian church, obviously built in such an impractical position to enhance the view from the hall.
Above: inside the interior is more or less untouched. Early eighteenth-century woodwork including these communion rails. The nave filled with box pews.
Above: beautiful plasterwork on the ceiling.
Above: the pulpit is this incredible towering construction. Few seeing this could doubt the emphasis placed upon The Word. Everything in the church was well kept.
Above: hatchments were displayed on the gallery at the west end. If you look closely at this coat of arms (you might need to click on the image to enlarge it) you can see that it includes heraldic ducks. Ornamental ducks swam on the lakes below.
Above: these cattle grazing peacefully belie the gale that was blowing - exhilarating but also alarming, and threatening at any moment to bring back the rain.
Above: I stopped to have a closer look at the house. Supposedly 1720s. Doric entrance but otherwise rather plain. Flemish bond brickwork. The park taken right up to the house, with no suggestion of a garden. Brick pediment with a little stone.








No comments:
Post a Comment