Monday, July 08, 2013

Unworldly denizens of the general synod

If the Church of England general synod pushes through today a determination to create women bishops without safeguards for the sizeable minority who object as a matter of conscience what message will that send out into society?

Basically the Church of England will be saying to minorities "shut the fuck up".

Sorry to be so crude about this, but the unworldly denizens of the general synod may not be aware of how they are going to be interpreted.

If we are to say "shut the fuck up" to religious minorities are we also to say "shut the fuck up" to ethnic minorities, or gender minorities, or political minorities?

That would be a drastic change in society.

Of course, many would say it doesn't matter what the Church of England decides, it will have no impact on everyone else.

Personally I think they are wrong, and what the Anglican Church does has more influence than many media chatterers suspect.

For the record, I have no view on whether women bishops are desirable or not - I trust the church hierarchy not to lead people into error. 

No comments: