Thursday, July 11, 2013

The suggestion that the NHS should give priority on the transplant waiting list to people who are on the organ donor register

On the Today programme this morning was the suggestion that the NHS should give priority on the transplant waiting list to people who are on the organ donor register.

Someone called Sally Johnson, Director of Organ Donation and Transplantation for NHS Blood and Transplant (who sounded a typical public sector bossy boots), said she was keen to know what people think about the idea.

I think the idea stinks.

The NHS belongs to everyone, and no-one should be made to jump through hoops to get treatment.

Organ donors are not the only "donors" who contribute to transplant operations.  Each operation costs a fair amount of money to perform.  That money comes exclusively from taxpayers - non-taxpayers do not contribute anything.

The logic of Ms Johnson's argument means that we should give priority for transplants to taxpayers over non-taxpayers.  That is clearly unacceptable.  But no more unacceptable than giving priority to people who are on a particular register.

Is it not typical of the public sector that they always want to go down the path of compulsion rather than persuasion?

Get off your backside Ms Johnson and use your selling skills to persuade more people to become organ donors.  And if you don't have the necessary selling skills?  You are probably in the wrong job.

I used to carry an organ donor card but I don't now.  The reason is that I don't trust the NHS.  I think they would make decisions (on who is to live and who is to die) based on expediency rather than morality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036kt0z/live

No comments: