Monday
Because I had worked in Birmingham all weekend I woke this morning after only five hours sleep and feeling tired before the day had properly started.
I gave myself an easy job to last the whole morning - proof-reading and editing a new publication. Also I wrote up some of the interviews from Saturday. I did all this in the Reading Room downstairs, sitting at the corner desk facing the wall so that no-one could see I had my eyes closed and was almost asleep.
In the afternoon a meeting to discuss people with disabilities. There were only two items that concerned me - the marketing plan and the thousand-company survey. After these items had been covered I was able to leave the meeting.
Tuesday
Meetings in London today. Queues at the ticket office meant I missed the 9.08 train and had coffee and biscuits while I waited for the 9.26. I read the Guardian and the Times on the train.
At Head Office my first meeting was with Kathy W and Mary McF in Media Relations. They seemed much more amenable and co-operative compared to our last meeting. Perhaps the success of the Conference has changed relations for the better between the Institute and Head Office.
Then a meeting with Anne H in Publications - we discussed joint literature for the Head Office conference this autumn.
The whole of the afternoon spent discussing the Institute's websites, which are being paid for by Head Office (hence the meeting in the Finance Department). I am so glad I am no longer responsible for the various databases. Marcia Walsh (Deputy Director of the Institute) was also at this meeting, and everything we asked for was agreed.
Leaving Head Office at 4.30 I went to a Victorian church that I often visit (a Victorian rebuild on a medieval site). Familiar stained glass window of the Virgin Mary with St Bartholomew and St Guthlac. I walked along the nave and turned right and went down some steps and sat on the stone bench for a while thinking: I'm still here.
Wednesday
Enormous amount of copy needs to be written before the end of the week.
There was no option but to get on with it.
I wanted to prevaricate and waste time, but I didn't dare.
Thursday
Immediately I arrived at the office I wrote my report for the management meeting, giving it to Vijay Singh to read out as I missed the meeting to continue writing copy.
Since the conference and the announcement of his resignation Vijay Singh has become increasingly confrontational with almost everyone.
The copy gradually under control. The first draft done, I refined it and refined it again. And I finally see how I can fit all the arguments together.
Friday
I worked downstairs in the Reading Room until the battery on my laptop ran out. Gary brought me cups of black coffee (they had no milk downstairs). Since Librarian Stan W left they have been ignoring the ban on drinks in the library.
Because it is a bank holiday weekend the office closed at 4pm and I drove home through the fresh early evening air.
Because I had worked in Birmingham all weekend I woke this morning after only five hours sleep and feeling tired before the day had properly started.
I gave myself an easy job to last the whole morning - proof-reading and editing a new publication. Also I wrote up some of the interviews from Saturday. I did all this in the Reading Room downstairs, sitting at the corner desk facing the wall so that no-one could see I had my eyes closed and was almost asleep.
In the afternoon a meeting to discuss people with disabilities. There were only two items that concerned me - the marketing plan and the thousand-company survey. After these items had been covered I was able to leave the meeting.
Tuesday
Meetings in London today. Queues at the ticket office meant I missed the 9.08 train and had coffee and biscuits while I waited for the 9.26. I read the Guardian and the Times on the train.
At Head Office my first meeting was with Kathy W and Mary McF in Media Relations. They seemed much more amenable and co-operative compared to our last meeting. Perhaps the success of the Conference has changed relations for the better between the Institute and Head Office.
Then a meeting with Anne H in Publications - we discussed joint literature for the Head Office conference this autumn.
The whole of the afternoon spent discussing the Institute's websites, which are being paid for by Head Office (hence the meeting in the Finance Department). I am so glad I am no longer responsible for the various databases. Marcia Walsh (Deputy Director of the Institute) was also at this meeting, and everything we asked for was agreed.
Leaving Head Office at 4.30 I went to a Victorian church that I often visit (a Victorian rebuild on a medieval site). Familiar stained glass window of the Virgin Mary with St Bartholomew and St Guthlac. I walked along the nave and turned right and went down some steps and sat on the stone bench for a while thinking: I'm still here.
Wednesday
Enormous amount of copy needs to be written before the end of the week.
There was no option but to get on with it.
I wanted to prevaricate and waste time, but I didn't dare.
Thursday
Immediately I arrived at the office I wrote my report for the management meeting, giving it to Vijay Singh to read out as I missed the meeting to continue writing copy.
Since the conference and the announcement of his resignation Vijay Singh has become increasingly confrontational with almost everyone.
The copy gradually under control. The first draft done, I refined it and refined it again. And I finally see how I can fit all the arguments together.
Friday
I worked downstairs in the Reading Room until the battery on my laptop ran out. Gary brought me cups of black coffee (they had no milk downstairs). Since Librarian Stan W left they have been ignoring the ban on drinks in the library.
Because it is a bank holiday weekend the office closed at 4pm and I drove home through the fresh early evening air.
No comments:
Post a Comment