Saturday, June 25, 2011

A tussle over who is to do an interview - the past week at work

Monday

During the morning I ploughed through the paper on my desk, occasionally getting up to go to speak to various people.

Another of the interminable meetings about a guide the NGO is producing.

In the afternoon a meeting in the Innovation department discussing a telemarketing campaign (using an outside agency) to promote one of the Innovation schemes.

Tuesday

Producing a Powerpoint presentation for the Innovation department. 

A tussle over who is to do an interview for regional television.  Operations director Ryan M was insistent that he should do the interview and not CEO Alec Pressberg.  "If necessary I will tell him that" he said (as if I care).

PR Officer Josie S sat in on this meeting but was subdued and didn't say a word (she is having an affair with Ryan M, but her mood of distracted serenity has changed to a sulky sort of depression).

Then a meeting with the all-women ad agency who are producing the next issue of the NGO's magazine.  There has been a lot of criticism over this magazine, especially its vacuous self-publicising content.  This may be the last issue we produce, as the NGO needs to make cuts.

Wednesday

At my desk I looked at the post (including my boss Tom D's post as he is still away), drank some coffee and sent off some urgent e-mails.  Then up to the Board Room for a meeting to discuss income generation for the NGO, since the grant from government is being cut.  I was surprised at the number of good ideas this meeting generated.

As a number of outside guests had been invited to the meeting we all went to lunch at a nearby hotel - wine and sandwiches in a little room off the bar.

In the afternoon office junior Leo had to be told off for truculent and defiant behaviour towards my deputy Meryl (his line manager).

The Marketing department has been doing a lot of work for the Operations department lately, so I told Josie to do a report to remind them how much we have supported them.

Thursday

A discussion on unemployment in the office.  Kate from the Operations department revealed that her first job had been at a "U-bo" (an Unemployment Benefit Office, now called a Job Centre).  "My recurring nightmare is that I have to go back to a U-bo in south London" she said.

Harriet D, one of the NGO's directors, was about the offices - slight trace of a Suffolk accent, grey hair in tight curls, deceptively motherly manner (but actually a ruthless and unpleasant character).  This is only the second time I have seen her all year.  She seems to be on permanent leave, and only comes in to deputise when CEO Alec Pressberg is away. 

Tony in the Operations department is getting married at the weekend (his second marriage) so we all squashed into the Operations office to see Harriet D present him with various gifts.

Friday

The television crew arrived and I took them up to the tea room and asked questions about how they were going to handle the item.  I then briefed Ryan M on what he should say.  The interview went fairly well

"Marks out of ten? Ryan M asked later about the interview.  "Ten out of ten" Josie said.  I said nothing.

No comments: