I'm afraid my knowledge of Venezuela is limited to reading Lisa St. Aubin de Teran's novel The Hacienda.
Therefore I am perplexed at the way in which the media has been covering the death of the Venezuelan president.
I'm sorry in a general sort of way that Hugo Chavez has died, but I do not understand why the death of a South American leader is such headline news.
Presumably South American leaders fall ill and die with the same regularity as leaders in other parts of the world?
Was there something special about Hugo Chavez other than a sort of palimpsest-peronist braggadocio defiance of the outside world?
Did he have much of an impact on the United Kingdom?
Are we going to cover the deaths of Ecuadoran leaders in the same way? Or Uruguayan leaders? Or leaders of the mysterious (to me) state of Surinam?
Therefore I am perplexed at the way in which the media has been covering the death of the Venezuelan president.
I'm sorry in a general sort of way that Hugo Chavez has died, but I do not understand why the death of a South American leader is such headline news.
Presumably South American leaders fall ill and die with the same regularity as leaders in other parts of the world?
Was there something special about Hugo Chavez other than a sort of palimpsest-peronist braggadocio defiance of the outside world?
Did he have much of an impact on the United Kingdom?
Are we going to cover the deaths of Ecuadoran leaders in the same way? Or Uruguayan leaders? Or leaders of the mysterious (to me) state of Surinam?
No comments:
Post a Comment