Saturday, March 23, 2013

I worked hard without making much progress - the past week at work

Monday

The first person I saw when I arrived at the office this morning was assistant Librarian Gary, a vicious bruise on his face making him look menacing, although in reality he fell off his bike last week when drunk.

A general-circulation e-mail from Head Librarian Stan W telling everyone that he is leaving in two weeks' time.  This surprised many people, especially as Gary and Matthew do not have the skills to keep the Reading Room going on their own (they are not really librarians but just Stan's assistants).  Presumably Stan thinks that the EGM vote next month will go in favour of the merger with Head Office.

Throughout the day I worked hard without making much progress.  There is such a huge amount of preparation that needs to be done for the EGM and because of the sensitivity we have to do it all in-house.  The only way I can cope is to make enormous lists of things - lists that just get longer and longer with hardly anything getting ticked off (plus Director Vijay Singh has an irritating habit of saying "Wouldn't it be a good idea at the EGM if we just..." and adding ten or twenty more items to my lists).

So all of the day I was rushing while at the same time feeling fed-up.

Tuesday

A visit to Head Office in London for more liaison about the EGM.  Sometimes I wonder how much people at Head Office really know about the Institute.  Most of them think we are just a research organisation.

Panic at the station when I realised I had lost one of my credit cards and had to arrange for it to be cancelled.

First meeting at Head Office was to discuss the new Institute websites - all the usual backbiting was in evidence. 

Then to Carol Reynolds to discuss her Consultancy offering for the EGM - she goes on and on, endlessly talking.

Finally a meeting with Alec Nussbaum.  There is always the sense that he is going to become angry, his sarcasm (which is his normal style of expression) tipping over into rage.  He knew I was not telling him everything, and he knew I knew.

Wednesday

Always I seem to be rushing.  All the morning I spent drafting publications for next month, and I was conscious that some of the arguments were a bit thin and not supported by much in the way of evidence.  I have become ruthless at culling e-mails as soon as they appear.

Lunchtime I went to the QD store where my credit card was returned to me.

A planning meeting in the afternoon to discuss the EGM - I had to avoid several sideswipes from Vijay Singh, and thanks to my lists I was able to demonstrate that most things were under control.

Thursday

Ridiculous amount of time spent sourcing photographs for posters to adorn the Resource Centre at the EGM.

Liaison with Media Relations at Head Office.  They were very unhelpful.  I told myself to keep calm, bide my time, and seek to retaliate discreetly.

Abi Reed (Surveys Manager) offered to take over the website work which is a huge relief.

Friday

Vijay Singh not in today, so things were quiet.

I did a transfer of the website work to Abi Reed, although I am still due to write a lot of the copy for the web pages.

And on impulse I booked the afternoon as holiday and went home early.

No comments: