Saturday, December 20, 2008

Many national publications still trying to keep their rates up - the past week at work

Monday

I knew today was going to be difficult and I woke with feelings of apprehension (had I been dreaming of work?). Julie (who does the admin) was away for two days and so there would be no-one to do the bookings. Also Andrea was away so effectively I would be on my own.

I got into work an hour earlier as I wanted to familiarize myself with the things that needed doing (we were expecting a lot of bookings to come in from one client). Almost immediately the ads started to arrive (all standard artwork, so there was nothing “creative” that needed doing – they just had to be placed). Temp Heidi was there to answer the telephone, but she couldn’t really do much more than take messages.

By lunchtime I began to think things would be OK. A simple stroll to the bank was therapeutic in getting me out of the offices. Mildish sort of day – damp and grey.

Early afternoon a mass of bookings came in, most of them with a four o’clock deadlines. The situation began to look impossible. Terry (our MD) came down to “help” and made a major mistake with one of the regionals (I had to sort it out).

At least he saw the sort of pressure we were under.

I worked into the early evening. There was only one client I was unable to get into the publication she wanted. Nearly fell asleep on the train home (it would have taken me to the end of the line!).

Tuesday

Less apprehension about today although the state of flux in the office is unsettling (this atmosphere is mainly caused by Andrea’s temper vis-à-vis junior staff). Although most of the workload today was made up of quite simple tasks, the responsibility is daunting as I am working with someone else’s systems and it is easy to make mistakes. Terry told me that when the new staff arrive things should get less hectic.

Once again I sat at Carol’s old desk (some of her junk still remaining in the drawers) while Terry sat at Julie’s desk where he churned out sub-standard second-rate work (sorry to sound so harsh, but it really wasn’t up to much). Once again we were up against deadlines. But it was also exhilarating to see the bookings come in and realize that the sub-agency, started only a few weeks ago, was making money.

Patricia (Terry’s PA) brought Terry cups of lemon tea.

Terry doesn’t like us using media-buyers and so most of the afternoon I spent buying space (the main agency upstairs is IPA recognized). Instant matiness from the display advertising departments of various publications. Many national publications still trying to keep their rates up (unless you buy late space).

I had to stay until 6 o’clock and then I went to Millbank to drop something off for a client. I went for a long walk along the Thames. The black water looked glossy in the lights from the embankment.

Wednesday

It was a struggle to get up this morning.

Andrea was back. Julie was also back, her slim figure clomping round the office, her slightly nasal voice answering the ‘phone. Chris (comes in one day a week to do the Accounts) was also in, so the offices seemed quite full.

We all overheard Andrea on the phone to a supplier, scathing about the cheapness of the wine the wine he had given us (later she gave us all four bottles each).

Lunchtime watching television in the Boardroom with Terry.

In the afternoon there wasn’t much for me to do. I felt at a loose end after the manic start to the week. I got some more TGI material from Sarah A in Birmingham.

Thursday

Temp Heidi’s last day, and she seemed sorry to be leaving.

It was Terry’s wife’s birthday, so Patricia (Terry’s PA) brought round cream cakes.

Lunchtime we went to an Italian restaurant for a team lunch. We were all round a long table in the middle of the crowded room. I was sat between Terry’s wife and temp Heidi. Smoked salmon, steak with paté (a combination which made me feel slightly nauseous), zabaglione, coffee. I felt it was impossible to relax for some reason. As we left the restaurant gave us all a panetone cake each.

In the afternoon we sat in the main office eating doughnuts (brought in by Chris) and discussing whether we would get a Christmas bonus (Andrea must have known whether we would, although she didn’t say anything).

Julie went up to an interview with Terry and came back smiling having been promoted to Carol’s old job (admin supervisor) and given a pay-rise.

Friday

Julie rowed with her boyfriend over the phone, which was embarrassing to listen to.

A new temp arrived to replace Heidi – her name was Sheila, middle-aged, quite experienced.

Apart from tentative plans for three new business pitches there was no work to do. Dreamily I looked out of the window. It grew dark just after 3.30pm.

Julie talked more about her interview with Terry yesterday, telling me: “He thinks you’re brilliant. He was saying Andrew’s brilliant, brilliant, the way he went into the deep end and coped. I made a good decision in appointing him.”

In the evening was the agency Christmas party (for clients), held in the upstairs offices. Among the many clients who turned up only one of them was “ours” and so after about an hour I slipped away. As I went down the stairs I looked through the windows across the stair well and saw Rachel sneaking away down the back stairs (presumably she had a more interesting party to go to).

No comments: