
When I was writing up yesterday’s entry I was a bit concerned that describing an expensive meal at a luxury hotel might seem insensitive when thousands of people are losing their jobs, having their homes repossessed, experiencing sleepless nights worrying about their credit cards. Then I read in the Sunday Telegraph that Culture Secretary Andy Burnham hosted an ultra-lavish £50k party for just twenty media oligarchs. So that makes everything okay (doesn’t it?).

Above: I took this photo earlier in the year – the Channel 4 headquarters in Horseferry Road.
Among the guests of the Culture Secretary was Andy Duncan, Chief Executive of Channel 4. His company has been much in the news recently over whether it should “share” the BBC licence fee. Presumably it would first have to share BBC standards of quality (Channel 4 is very lacklustre even at its best).
Channel 4 News is “fronted” by Jon Snow, one of the dreariest presenters currently working in television. Dry, pedantic, ponderous. The “profound” silences while he thinks about what to say next are excrutiating.
Chairman of Channel 4 is businessman Luke Johnson. An admirer of Rupert Murdoch. Probably most famous for expanding Pizza Express from a modest chain of restaurants to a ubiquitous identikit “presence”.
Deputy Chairman is well-known film producer David Puttnam (Midnight Express, Chariots of Fire, The Mission). Started his career working for CDP. Now involved with digital agency Profero (they took the Lufthansa work off Jon Stadden).
Director of television is Kevin Lygo. Boasted to the Evening Standard that Channel 4 brought reality television to the United Kingdom. Defended the Big Brother “race row” as being good for ratings.
Head of Programming is Julian Bellamy. He has a good reputation for finding new talent. On the downside he has brought a lot of garbage to Channel 4 during his time with the company (ie F*** off, I'm a Hairy Woman).
More on Profero: http://www.profero.com/uk/
No comments:
Post a Comment