Saturday, November 15, 2008

Work

For a while I thought I would stop writing about my work, since it would cause so many problems if this blog were to be discovered. I still write about work in my manuscript diary, so I have everything recorded on a day by day basis (even though I am sometimes unsure about what this record is meant to achieve). But I miss the perspective that comes from looking at things over a whole week.

So I am going to give my blog work diary another go.

This entry is really meant as an introduction to the latest phase.

Back in September I was still working as a copywriter. My boss was Creative Director Marc Baxtor. I worked in the Writers’ Room – a screened-off area on the busy agency floor.

Then Andrea, one of the Account Execs, brought in a big new client (actually the client was not new to her as she “handled” them at her last job). As this new client doesn’t really fit the agency’s core business Terry (our MD and owner of the company) suggested setting up a little sub-unit that would get in more of the same clients and specialise in this lucrative new sector. Terry is always setting up sub-units and separate departments – sometimes they prosper, sometimes they fail.

Andrea moved to four offices on the floor below. I was asked to join her in the new unit as a copywriter and to do some account handling. Andrea asked for me specifically, even though we hadn’t really worked together much (perhaps she thought I was the best of a bad bunch – there has been a lot of hostility towards Andrea since she arrived at the agency).

The offices are on the floor where I used to work (in another of Terry’s diversified companies that has split off and moved out). Sometimes, in my more melancholy moments, I go and stand in the empty floor where I used to work and think about the days that have gone. This chronic melancholia holds me back a lot, and I really must snap out of it.

Anyway, one of the nicest things about my new job is that I can catch a later train to work.

And so the scene is set…

No comments: