
Above: the peace camp set up by Brain Haw in Parliament Square (I took this photo in mid-October when the trees were still green). Brian Haw began this demonstration in 2001, protesting against the war policies of the government. In style the reproachful format of the protest (very visible to members of the government entering and leaving Parliament) resembled the old GLC banner about unemployment draped across County Hall (and like Mrs Thatcher, Tony Blair changed the law to try to outlaw the protest, although the courts intervened to allow the peace camp to remain).
An amazing scene at Prime Minister’s Questions today. I almost didn’t watch it, since I have so much work on. But when the time came I went up to the Board Room and joined Terry (our MD).
Lots of purple was in evidence on the Labour benches. I know the psychology of colour is controversial, but I couldn’t help wondering why so many of the Labour MPs and ministers have adopted the colour of imperial domination. Does it subconsciously signify a complacent belief in their right to rule?
The session began with a few knockabout exchanges, and then David Cameron asked the first of his six questions. Against expectations (“I’ll come to the economy in a minute”) he led with a question about “Baby P”, a seventeen month child murdered by three adults in circumstances that are beyond description. David Cameron asked for the investigation to be completely independent.
Gordon Brown said he was “shocked, saddened, horrified and angered” at what had happened, but then went on to say he would wait for a review would be held (calling for reviews is a stock response, and to my mind was completely inadequate in this case).
David Cameron persisted in asking who would carry out the investigation into the baby’s death. There seemed to be barracking from the Labour benches that we couldn’t see. The Speaker stood up and told them to behave with more dignity.
Gordon Brown, in a pedestrian style, listed the procedures that would be followed by the enquiry (“I am answering the question” he told the Conservative benches).
Yet again David Cameron asked about the independence of the enquiry. Again he was shouted at by the Labour benches. He seemed to be genuinely shocked at how the Labour MPs were reacting (Haringey is a Labour controlled borough so possibly they felt the need to defend the local council there).
Gordon Brown said “there are weaknesses that need to be addressed” before regretting the partisan way the argument was developing.
David Cameron called the Prime Minister “cheap” (and I would agree with David Cameron in this).
The next couple of exchanges didn’t really advance the discussion (David Cameron asking the Prime Minister to withdraw his remarks, Gordon Brown declining to do so). The Labour MPs (whom we couldn’t see) seemed to be yelling their heads off. The Speaker intervened again, mentioning the behaviour of the Leader of the House (Harriet Harmon) as particularly unacceptable (again we couldn’t see what she was doing).
The exchange ended with David Cameron saying “you should not investigate your own department” and Gordon Brown promising “it will be independent”.
After this serious, angry and completely unexpected clash the rest of Prime Minister’s Questions fell flat. Terry got up and walked about the Board Room a couple of times and sat down again. Absurdly I felt guilty, as if I had witnessed something I should not have.
Questions followed on post offices and social exclusion; tax policy; the payment terms of invoices; the backdated claims of Ghurkas; management of diabetes in schools; the date of the Iraq Enquiry; the safety of firefighters; boiler installations for the vulnerable; rate relief for businesses; funding of Alzheimer’s research; credit unions; post offices (again); the third runway at Heathrow; the fuel duty stabilizer; the economic theory of boom and bust; and the funding of town centre Christmas lights. I felt none of these questions mattered. As I went back to my floor I saw in Reception the day’s newspapers, with photographs of Baby P’s blood-stained clothes on the cover.
Brian Haw’s peace camp was recreated as an artwork at Tate Modern and won the Turner Prize: http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/wallinger/
More on the psychology of colour: http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html
PMQs: http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page306
No comments:
Post a Comment