Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Rat

Last night I took the dogs upstairs, and then went down again for the usual final walk through the ground floor switching off lights and checking locks.

In the dining room I noticed the two cats sitting facing the dresser (we have a very old-fashioned dining room).  Getting the torch I looked in the narrow space under the dresser and saw a young rat, light brown in colour, ears and whiskers twitching.  Probably the younger cat had brought it in through the back door cat flap.

There then commenced about half an hour of chasing the rat around the dining room and inner kitchen.

Eventually the older (and lazier) cat trapped it in a corner and I heard the rat shriek with fear, three high-pitched gasps of terror - who it was crying to was not clear.

Catching the rat with a plastic flowerpot I scooped it up (using an old magazine to keep it from jumping out) and took it out into the garden where I ejected it onto the side lawn.

It ran off into a flowerbed of tree peonies and lush newly-emerged fritillaria imperialis (a flowerbed of peonies, fritillarias and weeds actually).

No comments: