Saturday, April 20, 2013

Monday 8th April - part of the last two weeks at work

Arriving at the office things were as mundane and routine as you can possibly imagine.  I look back on that morning with a sort of awe as to how complacent we all were.  Bright morning outside as I drank instant coffee and replied to unimportant e-mails and prepared for the weekly planning meeting.
 
The news came to the Institute about midday, and within a few minutes everyone seemed to know.  Initially I felt a sort of superfluousness, as if everything I was doing had lost its importance.  Alec Nussbaum said “I will have to make some calls” and went into Vijay Singh’s office and closed the door. 
 
Mechanically I continued with the various plans for the weekend Conference, fully expecting the event to be cancelled.  I listed everything that is to go up by courier on Wednesday.  I had a final read through of the Programme proof before sending it off.
 
The Admin Team, who sit close to my desk, carried on talking to each other in a strained sort of way, and made cups of tea as if by repeating the ordinary routines they could make life ordinary again.
 
Alec Nussbaum and Vijay Singh appeared and stood by Reception and everyone was called together, even the Library staff (Gary looking confused, Matthew looking bored).
 
Alec Nussbaum made a haltering announcement of what we all already knew.  A slightly gasping and self-aware delivery as he told us anecdotes of years gone by.  This went on for some time with various people chipping in.
 
He then told us there is no need to cancel the Conference as it’s not a public event and so going ahead will not offend anyone.  He addressed the Admin team and told them to immediately contact everyone by phone so they know the Conference is going ahead.  He addressed me, saying that the Conference needed to be re-themed - all the publications will have to be redone, the poster graphics changed, the programme rewritten. 
 
To Gary and Matthew:  "I want you to find the ephemera, the juvenilia, and the memorabilia.  I know they are down there somewhere as I packed the boxes myself when the Library moved from London.  I want it all put on show at the Conference, preferably in the room we are using for the coffee breaks."
 
After everyone had dispersed a silence fell on the whole floor.
 
I went over to the line of windows on my side of the office and lowed the Venetian blinds so that they were half closed.

No comments: