Monday
Over the weekend I had worked at an exhibition, looking after the Institute's stand. This meant getting up at 6 am, driving two and a half hours, and standing around most of the day (even when I went into the seminars I often had to stand at the back). So when I got to work this morning I was exhausted.
As soon as I arrived in the office Institute Director Vijay Singh wanted a debrief on the conference - who had been there, how many of them I made contact with, what the follow-ups are going to be. I had to explain to him that the stands had been in a separate building from the conference and so not many of the attendees had made the effort to walk across (especially with the torrential rain). So my networking was limited to the coffee breaks and lunchtime.
More contretemps in the Admin section, with Pat B openly rowing with Kayla. Later in the day Vijay Singh told me that Pat B had resigned. Later still IT person (not sure what his title is) John Johnson told me that Pat B's MG sportscar (which she is inordinately proud of) had been vandalised with a gigantic scratch, and that everyone thought Kayla was responsible.
Most of the day I spent preparing for meetings later in the week.
A presentation on innovations in communications technology - but it was a bore.
Tuesday
Instead of going to the office this morning I went by train to London and arrived at Head Office shortly after 10.
Immediately I arrived on the fifth floor I was called into Alec Nussbaum's office (he must have been looking out for me) and asked to give a account of the conference. This was the first meeting I had had alone with Alec Nussbaum. Fussy, prissy, permanently irritable.
Then into a production meeting with the Editor of our sister organisation's magazine. She was hostile to the Institute in an oblique sort of way. "Do you think people will be interested in the same thing over six pages?" she asked dismissively ("Depends on the quality of the writing" I told her).
Afterwards I went to see Kathy W in the Media Relations section.
Wednesday
Another day at Head Office in London. The receptionist remembered me from yesterday, so I didn't have to go through all the security stuff. Then down to one of the basement meeting rooms.
Vijay Singh was already in the meeting room with about six other department heads. Discussion on how the Institute can be integrated into the work of Head Office. Is this the end of the Institute's independence and the triumph of Alec Nussbaum?
The meeting was dominated by Anne Boswell-Urquhart, a pear-shaped opinionated young woman in a baggy black trouser suit. What an unpleasant person! She seemed ready to pick a fight with anyone.
Then to the Membership section to discuss membership - the Institute has a database of supporters they want to contact. Fairly good meeting. I hope good relations have been restored (they had become quite strained when Vijay Singh had told me not to release the data).
Finally to Media Relations, ostensibly to talk to Kathy W about Channel 4, but actually we talked about office politics. She warned me about Anne Boswell-Urquhart and how she was being talked about as a new Director of the Institute (replacing Vijay Singh). If this happens the whole of the Institute will be moved back to London and set up on the third floor of Head Office.
Then I melted away (leaving the building by the back stairs so I would not be noticed. I dislike being in Head Office. There are too many potential confrontations.
Thursday
An extremely quiet day, with many people out.
Deputy Director Lois Cooper extremely ill with cancer and not expected to return to work.
Friday
Another quiet day. I spent most of the morning reading PR Week. Then a surge of e-mails came in which I dealt with.
Kathy W telephoned me about developments at Head Office ("I've just walked into a hornet's nest...").
No comments:
Post a Comment