Sunday, July 08, 2012

Prunella vulgaris















Have been at a small conference yesterday and today, looking after the Institute's stand.

Because of the dogs I had to drive home yesterday, then get up at 6am this morning to get back to the conference before today's sessions started.

So I am totally exhausted.

I only really had to be on the stand during the refreshment breaks and the lunch, and the rest of the time I mostly sat in on the seminars (which were very earnest and ever so slightly dull).

But I skipped one session yesterday and went for a walk.  The weather was warm and humid, torrential showers alternating with intense sunlight.  In the woods around the conference centre I found a wide clearing covered with bright blue flowers (see above).  I later identified these as Prunella vulgaris, a wild flower indigenous to northern Europe.  Apparently these little plants were used to flavour soups and stews.  The sap is antibacterial.

No comments: