Friday, July 13, 2012

The John Terry verdict






Within minutes of the John Terry verdict being announced it was re-announced by Diane Abbott MP on her Twitter microblog.  Note that she did not write anything, she merely "retweeted" what someone else had written, therefore sidestepping making an actual comment (having been given a good kicking by Ed Miliband earlier this year for making racist statements herself viz "white people like to play divide and rule").  Perhaps she is being archly ironic with this "Just saying" form of commentary, perhaps she is being intellectually dishonest.

Personally I am pleased John Terry has been found not guilty.

I am more than pleased, I am delighted.

Since the incident occurred John Terry has been treated by many people as if he was guilty.  In particular, left-wing commentators (in the Mirror, Guardian and Independent) have been salivating over the prospect of a guilty verdict.  It has been a witch-hunt, both unpleasant and unjust.

It benefits no-one if the principle of innocent until proven guilty is abandoned.










Some of the nastiest vilification of John Terry has been carried out by Guardian writer Marina Hyde (she practices a Roland Freisler style of journalism).  Is she now going to apologise for her evil words? (rhetorical question, of course she won't).  But at least we can be pleased for John Terry and happy that he has an unblemished character and will continue as a great player and (I hope) great future manager.

Presumably the FA will have to apologise, and there will have to be resignations at the highest level.

No comments: