Saturday, November 19, 2011

All the innovative (but irrelevant) things the NGO is doing

Monday

I've had a cold all this week, so have had hardly any energy.

Anyway, the aches and pains of the illness, together with a slight shortness of breath, made rising at 5.30 this morning more than usually difficult.  In the dark I sat on the edge of the bed and thought without enthusiasm about the day ahead.  But once I was downstairs and drinking a cup of tea I began to feel more optimistic.

I was one of the first to arrive at the office.  As I am leaving at the end of the year I can sense that my influence in the NGO is dwindling and that I am becoming irrelevant.  This morning I went through all the projects I am responsible for and began to cancel those I will not be able to finish.

In the afternoon a long meeting with a contractor who is carrying out some telephone research for the NGO.  She seemed rather mad.  "I like working late at night" she told me, "as the air isn't cluttered up with other people's thoughts."

Tuesday

For some reason I enjoy driving in the complete dark of early morning.  It is an experience worth all the effort of getting up.  It also means I can leave early (the NGO operates flexitime).

Arriving at the offices at 7.35 I was able to listen to the radio (on my PC) until 9, working through the files on my desk.

Today the reorganisation of the ground floor took place with all the Communications personnel now in one place.  This move was so disruptive that it took almost all the day.  Not sure if I like my new desk (but I didn't dare say anything considering the arguments there have been over who is going to sit where).

In the afternoon everyone went up to the Operations department to see Jamie given his leaving present.  Operations Director Ryan M gave a speech that was meant to be humorous but actually fell flat and was too much about himself.  A film was played on YouTube showing Jamie very drunk.

I left the office at 4pm.

Wednesday

Because I had to visit the dentist this morning I was able to stay in bed until 9am.  Even then I was too early so sat around the house reading until time to leave for the appointment.  I was only a few minutes with the dentist - she said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my teeth.

I got to the office at 1pm.  Walking into the new Communications department I was surprised at how untidy it already looked.  I was not in a mood for work, although there were a number of long telephone calls I had to make.

I briefed a freelance designer on a series of posters.  These are the idea of CEO Alec Pressberg.  Personally I think they are pointless, but I am past caring - if he wants to waste the NGO's money who am I to argue.

PR Office Josie S told me she had been given a written warning by our boss Tom D.  This annoyed me as she reports to me and I had not been informed or involved.  I wrote an e-mail of complaint to the HR manager (but no-one will take any notice of it, my voice has ceased to count).

Thursday

The new office layout means we are cold most of the day (the front door opens into the area, and Reception is just behind a flimsy screen so the damp air comes in constantly).

In the afternoon another golf session with Felix S and Ryan M.  I used the woods much more, which totally changed the experience.  I was trailing far behind as usual.  When it started to get dark we abandoned the game and had a drink in the clubhouse, and I detected tensions between Felix and Ryan (Felix has started work in the Operations department).  We were all matey together, but I know they are not really my friends.  After I leave they will not give me a second thought.

Friday

The only notable occurance today was a visit from a journalist.  I talked to her in the Board Room, mechanically listing all the innovative (but irrelevant) things the NGO is doing.  Afterwards I took her to lunch at a motel, accompanied by Marketing Officer Ron J (he has multiple sclerosis and from the car park to the motel he limped furiously to keep up with us, although if we had slowed down and waited for him he would have become angry).

No comments: