Blogger has been down the last couple of days, so have been unable to post anything.
Today I have just got in and feel too tired to write much.
Saturday is usually when I write up my work diary. I was on holiday the two weeks after Easter. Then I returned to work last Monday.
I had only been back in the office an hour or so when I realised that things had changed. My assistant Josie S (PR Officer) is having an affair with the Operations Director Ryan M. Normally office romances don't bother me. Who cares what people get up to so long as they leave me alone. But there are three aspects of this affair that make me uneasy.
The first is a sort of moral issue. She is nineteen and he is thirty. She is still living with her parents, he is married. She is one of the most junior members of staff in the NGO, he is a Director. Should I try to warn her this is not a good situation for her to be in? Or should I just let them get on with it?
Second issue is that they are not discreet. They openly carry on in the office (nothing lewd, just putting their arms round each other, holding hands, occasional chaste kisses etc). This mostly happens in the marketing department which is fairly enclosed, but the area is my responsibility and I can tell the other staff are not happy about it (especially Meredith).
Third issue is a selfish one. She is my subordinate, he is my senior (not my line manager, but he can still tell me what to do). Where does that leave me? I am supposed to supervise her work. Give her things to do (some of them boring). Tell her off when she gets things wrong. There has been a smouldering feud for some time between Josie and my deputy Meryl P - how am I going to manage this next time they start arguing?
It's not use going to my line manager Tom D as he and Ryan M are old pals.
It's a mess.
Saturday, May 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment