Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Independent rather likes the Tory manifesto

Out of all the political manifestos launched this week, the only one that has caused a stir in intellectual circles has been the Conservative one.



Above: Looking for a realistic critique, I looked in The Independent where the editorial yesterday focused on the Conservative programme. I have read this editorial several times, and I think The Independent actually rather likes the Tory manifesto. There are a few leftist mantras, and three stock examples we have heard before, but on the new stuff I think they are intrigued more than anything else.

If it had been possible to tear the Conservative manifesto apart (I'm talking rationally, not just abusively) The Independent would have done it.



Above: And in today’s Independent the praise (very subtle, never overt) seems to continue.

As I write this I am half watching the first of the Leader’s debates. Each of them is doing fairly well. Nick Clegg is a bit too abrasive.

No comments: