
Above: Easter Sunday, and the chocolate Easter eggs this year do not include any by Cadburys (the first time for as long as I can remember).

Above: recipe for Simnel Cake which appeared in the Daily Mirror. My sister used to make the Easter Simnel Cake (she died in 2006). This year I just bought one in Sainsburys.
Above: my "improving" reading over Lent has included this book on Alfred Hope Patten. There is also a full biography of Hope Patten by the same author. Michael Yelton is a County Court judge.

Above: I was sufficently moved by the book to go and look at Holy Cross church in Cromer Street. This was Hope Patten's first parish. The building was locked of course (it was on a weekday morning, and the street is not in the best part of London). The steady rain came down vertically, so that I had to shelter under the awning of a sari shop opposite. Despite its rather run-down appearance, the building seemed to glisten in the rain. There is no mechanism (yet) for creating new saints in the Anglican church, but if Hope Patten were to be beatified this church would become a shrine.
Above: the shrine Hope Patten is most associated with is Walsingham. This is inside the reconstructed Holy House. My brother lives in Norfolk so I have often been to Walsingham.
No comments:
Post a Comment