Friday, April 03, 2009

Off-line

Apologies for being off-line so much recently.

I was working at home on Tuesday morning and got a call from a BT engineer “just checking the line”. When I went back to the laptop the internet connection was “connected” but didn’t work. I immediately rang the engineer back on 1471 and must have taken him by surprise as he gabbled excitedly about what he had been doing and when I asked who his boss was gave me the mobile phone of the senior regional engineer (I was probably a bit sharp with him).

Since Tuesday I have spoken to eighteen BT personnel, including three one-hour calls and the arrival of two BT engineers in my home. Mostly the BT personnel have tried to tell me it is all my fault and there is nothing they can do. Eventually, by a tedious process of elimination (and ringing the senior engineer on his mobile), I have found out that the original engineer had “ceased” my broadband connection (although I have also been told “this is not possible without an order, and there is no order”).

The rudest and most unhelpful person I spoke to was Omar in Warrington.

Anyway, there is still no internet connection at home and not likely to be until the end of next week at the earliest. I am posting this from a third party computer (since I can’t really use the PC at work without IT seeing everything). If I was paranoid I would think someone was out to get me.

No comments: