Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday

Easter Sunday, and I got up at 4am and drove to the coast (the east coast, the water is the North Sea). The coast at this point is tidal marshes, held at bay by two sea walls. I parked under the inner sea wall and walked ten minutes along a muddy path to the outer sea wall - the sea birds were already up and making a tremendous racket.



Above: on top of the outer sea wall the local vicar was waiting (sensibly dressed, unlike many of the congregation who were in their Easter finery). About a hundred people eventually gathered with thousands of sea birds circling overhead. There was a cool off-shore breeze but at least it didn't rain.



Above: the intention was to gather in the darkness and as the sun came over the edge of the world to hold an Easter service of light. Actually there wasn't really darkness, just a dark grey sky that changed imperceptibly to a lighter grey sky. We had to rely on the time to tell us the moment of sunrise.



Above: "sunrise" and the Paschal candles were lit. "Christ is risen" bellowed the vicar, the seagulls joining in the responses. We sang Thine Be The Glory and other hymns.



Above: after the service I went home and drank coffee. At the 10.30 Holy Communion I could hardly keep my eyes open. After lunch I slept for two hours and then tackled the chocolate Easter eggs.

No comments: