The show was held at a community hall. The building was red brick late Victorian, with very generous proportions (wide screens corridor, school-board windows, magnificent loos). Small dogs were on show inside, big dogs outside (the light was poor inside, so the pictures didn’t come out well - I couldn’t use a flash in case the dogs became upset).
The dogs were wonderful, and so were the people - very friendly and sociable.

The show was held under the auspices of the Kennel Club, probably the world’s premier authority on all things canine. It was founded in the nineteenth-century and set the standards that were later adopted worldwide. Dogs have a primacy in English life second only to horses. Many times I have met dog-owners who say they prefer their dog to many people they have to associate with. It is an opinion I secretly share. Certainly I would rate my dog as more intelligent than some people you come across.

The day was a chance for dogs to meet old friends and make new ones.

The judging was taken very seriously. Obviously all the dogs were pedigree. Did you know dogs had surnames (for instance Rudhams).

Boxer. The breed originated in Germany from a Bulldog and a Bullenmeister. Their bite is very powerful and they are known for hanging onto their prey.

Cocker Spaniels, a very popular breed. A cocker spaniel is always wagging its tail (except when couped up in a cage of course). A working dog, used for flushing out game birds.

German Short Haired Pointer. I really liked this smart good-natured dog. The owner was very chatty: “People see long-haired dogs all beautifully groomed and they don’t realise the work that has to go into keeping them like that, whereas with Nobby you just give him a quick wipe over and he’s ready to show.”
These whippets were fussed over as if they were children. Very athletic dogs, they are often bought for racing then abandoned when they become injured or too old. In the dog sanctuary near my home the majority of dogs are whippets and they are hard to find new homes for (heart-breaking really).

Golden Retriever. “Do you mind if I take a picture?” “I’d like you to take a picture - stand still for the camera darling…”

Irish Setter. A gun-dog, but also a very good family dog. Needs lots of exercise.

Dogs contribute a huge amount to the British economy. There are hundreds of products based on canine requirements (feeding, veterinary requirements, even toys). Plus the breeding and sale of pedigree dogs is a big activity.

You see these signs on the side of the road and you wonder how well the dogs are being treated (obviously they are being exploited). If it’s a farm you can at least ask around and see what sort of reputation the farmer has. If it’s just an anonymous house, then anything could be going on.
It’s a terrible admission, but if I saw person to person violence in the street I would probably ring the police but I wouldn’t feel any necessity to get involved. If I saw someone ill-treating a dog however, I would definitely get involved. I might even administer some physical retribution if I was angry enough.
More on the Kennel Club: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/
My grandmother used to sing this song - you never hear it on the radio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12vTdJ42MAw
2 comments:
How nice knowing you're a "Dog Person"!
Oh Dear, I must have the same taste in music as your grandmother. Thanks for sharing!
Always nice to hear from you Joanne.
Post a Comment